Davis, California, United States
- Last updated: December 28, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: February 13, 2016
As members of the Domes Community, we choose to promote and exemplify a lifestyle that incorporates the following:
* Living practices including organic agriculture and permaculture, low-impact construction, energy efficiency, alternative forms of waste management and the general reduction of our ecological footprint, which allow us to meet our needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
* Interdependence on levels ranging from emotional to economic.
* Understanding of differences and conflict resolution through the consensus process.
* To encourage creativity, inspiration, initiative, personal growth and diversity.
* To structure our place and our community as an accessible educational resource for each other, the University of California at Davis, and the greater community of the world.
The Domes is UC Davis student housing. We have community potluck dinners Monday through Thursday and Garden Parties every other Sunday, which anyone is welcome to attend.
There are 14 domes, numbered 2-15. Dome 7 is our office dome, the other domes are residential, consisting of 2 bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, living space, and 2 residents. We are on ~3.5 acres of land next to the EC Gardens.
Anyone is welcome to come walk around and visit and join our community events. To live here, there is an online application and residents discuss applicants at community meetings. We have weekly meetings at 8pm every Monday.
If you would like to live here, come around and meet residents, because we like to accept new residents who we know and feel safe with.
If you would like to visit, just stop by. Please be respectful to the space, since it is our home.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1972
- Start Living Together: 1972
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://bagginsend.net/
- Community Address:
Davis, California, 95616
- Type(s): Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $396
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 6
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used often.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Everyone is welcome to their own diet, most community dinners are vegetarian with vegan options.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual