Aurora, Ontario, Canada
- Last updated: November 9, 2016 (6 months ago)
- Listing created on: November 10, 2014
Eclectic, con-sense-u-all, generative, preparedness, Commons/privacy equitable, natural future model. We kin do it.
mission/vision: We Kin, do this!
To honour and cultivate the component character of self-elected individuals with diverse skillsets and dialoged/demonstrated common values, including an ecological, permaculture and biodynamic focus.
This can facilitate a highly viable alternative of creative and truly affordable living in a large , natural , common space, while attending to basic needs for survival, at a minimum, towards thriving , …regardless of societal changes.
We would endeavour to explore the best of private/personal space in the midst of a shared, eco-sustained Commons and site-appropriate infrastructure.
In free association, we encourage co-generative enterprise both for profit and the benefit of the Commons, in a sustainable manner.
Largely off-grid ,some but hydro/septic zones optional, we remain open to more appropriate ways of harmonizing with natural/cosmic cycles, respecting water, atmosphere, soil, and woodland.
Our progressive eco-village experience will concurrently be an income/educational forum and/or retreat for any who seek the same expansive forum.
Ongoing personal and online dialog, outlining and documenting common parameters of like-mindedness in variants of con-sense-us governance, features, mission/vision sustainability, affordability.
Several hundred rugged acres are still available since our website initiation 3+ yrs. ago, in mixed-forest regrowth, 40yrs. old. Once acquired, this will be a pioneering effort, largely offgrid but with a few optional hydro near the 4-season rd. We hope to be on the land in 2017, gradually developing according to resources, as our financial pledges increase. There is currently room for about 100 dwellings…mostly offgrid.. plus community centre with hydro, and other commons buildings/and gardens.
Would-be incorporated shareholders can access all relevant info. from or via our website.
There are varying levels of membership, from: reserving a future space, camping/retreat, part-time or fulltime resident….tinyhouse-on-wheels, or earth-fixed dwellings. Complementary onsite private and Commons entrepreneurial generation is encouraged, and Organic/Biodynamic/Permaculture protocol for food production required.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.meetup.com/communikindred-in-ontario/
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.meetup.com/http-communikindred-wix-com-communikindred/
- Contact Name: Henry
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, enterprises
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
consensus – 3% is dependent on the actual population at any point.
Also, consensual discernment is preferable…usually requiring more time, rather than the arbitrary, scheduled meeting time.
Exploring variations on this living dynamic.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
Members who take a loan to join, must provide viable contingency plan(s) in the event of default, or may lose their place. An option is to make institutional, or private associations/alliances with other supportive/able members to help each other. The community may take that burden itself based on all factors, with defined limitations.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Hydro-Electric, Biomass, Biogas, Biofuel, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Recreational vehicles, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Those which facilitate adequate health to accomplish physical tasks required for personal off-grid fuel/food/dwelling preparation and maintenance. And/or, pre-agreed financial arrangements or barter to assure accomplishment of those requirements in all seasons.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), Global Ecovillage Network – North America (GENNA)
Whole Village, Caledon, Ontario
Affordable, sustainable, homesteaded Commons, off-grid, eclectic freedom, likemindedness, eco-appro.