Collectif Creatif du Castellas
- Last updated: June 23, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: June 6, 2010
Community in village, France
We have purchased a huge building in Besseges, France (Gard), have begun the first phase of renovation and have started our veggie garden. We have bees and 10 chickens. We have also started an artist residency and our cantine is open for organic, vegetarian noon meals for the public.
We have weekly work days and organizational meetings every weeks based on consensus.
Our community offers living and work space for permanent members or only work space for members living in the area.
We have a sewing workshop, metal/wood workshop and a forge is being developed. We are searching for ideas to have cottage industries.
Private quarters will remain small and the community spaces will include a kitchen, a laundry room, bathrooms, library, two multi purpose spaces for exhibits,workshops meetings, theatre, concerts, office space for the association…
The founding members have created an association which owns the building.
Permanent members loan money to the association while living and working within the community. If they decide to leave they will be reimbursed without interest after leaving.
Supporting members also loan money which enables us to auto finance the renovation. But we will also be looking for various subsidies. We have been able to purchase the building with membership loans so far. We do not intend to use bank loans.
Permanent and active members pay a monthly contribution to the association to cover expenses : food, water, electricity, insurance, taxes …
And of course we renovate ecologically : wood burning furnace, solar, natural insulation…
For more information please consult our site (in French). If you are interested in our project please e-mail [email protected]
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.collectifcreatifcastellas.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CollectifCastellas/?fref=ts
- Contact Name: Martina Westover
- Phone: 33O466603157
- Community Address:
3, imp du castellas
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $200
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 15
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: 100%
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used often.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We will purchase land in the future for food growing
- Healthcare Options: Partial, Special, or Limited Community Plan
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN)
co-housing/community, ecology, partnerships with local associations, greenbuilding, social threefold