Glenmoore, Pennsylvania, United States
- Last updated: January 3, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: November 11, 2004
Camphill Soltane provides opportunities for young adults and adults with special needs to discover their talents and grow their capacities so they can take their place in the world as valued contributors. Our varied residential settings offer supportive, relationship-rich environments that emphasize interdependence and shared responsibility, while our educational and vocational programs develop individuals’ practical and professional skills.
Camphill Soltane was founded in Chester County in 1988. Two other Camphill communities in Chester County – Camphill Special School and Camphill Village Kimberton Hills – were already in existence at that time, providing K-12 education, and land and craft-based work for older adults with special needs, respectively. The founders of Camphill Soltane recognized the gap in educational opportunities and choice of work for young adults with special needs. They envisioned a Camphill community that would provide a college-like experience for these young people to facilitate their transition into adulthood.
All Camphill communities are based on a spiritual understanding of the human being. Anthroposophy (literally “wisdom of the human being”) was conceived by Dr. Rudolf Steiner of Austria in the early 20th century. Insights from Anthroposophy have given rise to Camphill communities, Waldorf education, bio-dynamic agriculture, and new forms of medicine, therapies, and the arts. All share a common dream of social, cultural, and economic renewal.
Our programs are supported by an organizational infrastructure that includes full-time volunteers, called coworkers, as well as employed staff who lead classes, support work work areas, live in or provide support in houses, perform administrative duties, maintain the physical plant, and more. A separate supporting organization, the Camphill Soltane Foundation, provides fundraising and outreach support for Camphill Soltane.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1988
- Start Living Together: 1988
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.camphillsoltane.org/
- Contact Name: Coworker Admissions
- Phone: 610-469-0933
- Community Address:
224 Nantmeal Rd
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania, 19343-2637
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
alcohol consumption is permitted privately and off-duty in the community
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Camphill Association of North America (CANA)
Camphill Special School, Camphill Communities California, Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Camphill Village Minnesota, Inc., Camphill Village USA, Inc.
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].