Boise EcoVillage Project
Boise, Idaho, United States
- Last updated: March 2, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: May 6, 2014
Envision a community living in harmony with the earth and with each other through green building, renewable energy, shared governance and permaculture principles. Residents of the Treasure Valley collaborate to manifest a sustainable community, sustainable business incubator, and education center in an urban setting.
The community is forming online, among friends, through word of mouth outreach events. We are a Facebook group of 650+ members with a wealth of skills, talents and abilities. Our core group is three LLC members with 6 new applicants this last month. We are about to finalize our operating agreements, membership agreements, principles and guidelines, as a member managed organization using dynamic self-governance. We currently have 7 Village Circles. We are leasing 3.5 acres where we are building relationships, hosting events, planting gardens and creating community space. We are still keeping our eye out for land, although we are drawn to a geothermal property in Buhl that is on the market. We are exploring options for financing the project, crowdfunding, community supporters, and loans. Our community welcomes diversity, including socioeconomic status. We are currently made up of families and people of all ages. We have urban farmers, permaculturalists, horticulturists, homesteaders, builders, teachers, healers, a fabulous attorney, musicians and artists. We have already begun to host workshops, retreats, events, conferences and festivals. We would like to be a model of sustainable living, and teach these skills at an education center. For this reason we want to be accessible and integrated into our larger community. We have chosen Dynamic Self Governance (Sociocracy) as our governance model, after reading “We the People: Consenting to a Deeper Democracy.”
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2014
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://boiseecovillageproject.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/578546342231126/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/boiseecovillage
- Contact Name: Sunny Dawn Freeman Genz
- Phone: 208-841-5904
- Mailing Address:
2912 S Garden St
Boise, Idaho, 83705
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: To be Determined
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Members will be trained in Sociocracy and participate in Village Circle(s) they are passionate about. Each Village Circle elects a representative to the Core Council.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
For the current project, which is not-residential we require $10 and 4 hours of labor per month. when we establish a residential community this will be different. Some early ESTIMATES: 10 hours per week of service (labor) in the community, $2000 to join the community (can be paid off over time), and a monthly contribution of $150. Land/community based businesses will be asked to contribute a minimum of 10 percent back to the community.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Fire pit, Waterfront access
- Internet Available: No
- Internet Fast?: There is no internet access at our community.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We hope to someday have a community kitchen that can produce a vegetarian and gluten free option with each meal. We might also look into creating various food co-ops within the community if we end up with very distinct dietary practices.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian, Buddhist, Native American, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Agnostic
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
boise, ecovillage, intentional, community, permaculture, farming, wellness, renewables