Black Sheep Animal Sanctuary
Wellington, Otaki, New Zealand
- Last updated: February 29, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: August 17, 2012
Animal rescue and rehabilitation. Intersection of animal rights, human rights and the environment.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2009
- Start Living Together: 2009
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.theblacksheep.org.nz
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Black-Sheep-Animal-Sanctuary-Otaki-168073479885928/
- Contact Name: Kate Waghorn
- Phone: 0061 6 3642241
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 7500
Wellington, Otaki, 6021
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $100
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 20
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Internet, River swimming area
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Smoking outside is ok for those who smoke
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Vegan, queer, lesbian, gay, trans, bi, intersex, animals, respect, environment, animal rights