Redwood, New York, United States
- Last updated: January 10, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 17, 2011
Education, Art, Sustainability
Better Farm is a sustainability education center, artist colony, organic farm, and animal sanctuary set on 65 acres in the foothills of the Adirondacks and just 10 miles from the Thousand Islands, St. Lawrence Seaway, and Canadian border. The farm’s name comes from the Better Theory—a belief that every experience brings with it an opportunity for exponential personal growth.
Through educational programming, artist residencies, gallery showings and events, and an ongoing commitment to sustainable living and community outreach, we strive to apply the Better Theory to all our endeavors while offering the curious an opportunity to expand, grow, and flourish.
Better Farm is also home to betterArts, a 501(c)3 non-profit whose mission is to increase access to the arts through free and low-cost artist residencies, community outreach, performances, gallery openings, festivals, private instruction, and more. The betterArts residency program seeks to provide an opportunity for creative exploration and growth to artists, writers, and musicians within the context of Better Farm’s dynamic environment. Residencies are for two weeks, three weeks, or month-long periods. The standards for admission are talent, a clear project proposal, a desire to live and work at Better Farm, and a willingness to have a go at the Better Theory. See www.betterarts.org/residencies for more information.
Better Farm’s Sustainability Education Program runs in one- to three-month intervals and is available to individuals interested in a myriad of sustainability issues. Individuals are given daily chores, readings, and projects to work on, and are embedded from Day One in the local community. Those accepted to the program may visit us during the work week, or stay on-site ($500/month stipend covers food, utilities, and materials): Visit www.betterfarm.org/sustainability-internship for more information.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2009
- Start Living Together: 2009
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.betterfarm.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/better.farm
- Other social: http://www.betterfarm.org/blog
- Contact Name: Better Farm
- Phone: (315) 482-2536
- Community Address:
31060 Cottage Hill Road
Redwood, New York, 13679
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $500
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We charge a monthly stipend to cover food and expenses.
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), betterArts, Redwood Neighborhood Association, North Country Arts Council
Organic farming, gardening, hostel, commune, art studio, internship, residency, artist retreat, educ