Albany, California, United States
- Last updated: March 27, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: September 21, 2016
Berkeley Moshav is a vibrant cohousing community that supports and encourages Jewish life.
Berkeley Moshav is a vibrant cohousing community that supports and encourages Jewish life. Our community nurtures residents’ lives through daily social interaction, shared community responsibilities, spiritual expression, and a balance of communal and private living, in a physical environment of quality homes and extensive common facilities. The members of Berkeley Moshav are deeply inspired by Jewish values and openly express these values in the physical, social, and spiritual dimensions of our intentional community. We are an inclusive community that respects and values diversity in age, family composition, economic circumstance, and Jewish observance.
We intend to create a community of households that are both committed to Jewish life and diverse in Jewish observance. We recognize that this will require compromise and accept that we will all have to go a little beyond our comfort zones in order to create a truly inclusive and Jewishly diverse environment where those who practice and express Judaism differently can make community together.
We welcome equally Jews from all backgrounds as well as non-Jews who wish to live in such a space. (Examples of the latter would include non-Jewish spouses/partners and participants in Jewish life who are neither formally Jewish nor self-identified as Jewish.) We will be a community that honors, respects, appreciates, and values differences in Jewish observance and expression. Jewish practice within each household is entirely at the discretion of that household.
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Jewish
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Jewish, cohousing, inclusive