Beltane Hill Village
Middlefield, Massachusetts, United States
- Last updated: September 16, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: September 12, 2018
Creating a cohesive village life of sustainable, practical, innovative ways; improving all our relations –to neighbors, nature, and our own spiritual growth.
Beltane Hill has an integrated relationship with AzureGreen –a business employing 25 people; along with a community center hosting meals and events –Blossom-Center Middlefield. It has a 27 year relationship with the people and land of the tiny, self-governing town of Middlefield –its forest and fields, and 22 people per square mile.
Four of the Co-founders bring a Wiccan / Nature-Spirituality perspective, including its belief that everyone has their own spiritual path. We strive for a balance of independence and collaboration, tailored to individual tastes and skill. We pursue living lightly on earth, and want active participants in local governance and decision-making. We seek inspirational practices that support the flourishing of spirit.
In 2008, 125 people gathered for the ground-blessing ritual prior to constructing our 8,000+ sf of common house / community center space. For the past 3 years, every Tuesday at 5:30pm 80 or more people gather for community dinners. These dinners make an excellent time to visit and get a feel for the larger community and its affinity sub-sets.
There is land available adjoining the common house, and further away, as well as single-family homes for sale in the neighborhood. Prospective members interested in only room(s) in an existing house would need to meet with existing householders to see if there is compatibility. Design of new homes would rest with its future residents, and not be planned by the community as a whole.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2008
- Start Living Together: 2015
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.middlefieldma.info/wordpress/contact/beltane-hill-co-village/
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.AzureGreen.net
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BeltaneHill/
- Other social: http://www.Ezmereld.org
- Contact Name: Tamarin Laurel
- Phone: 413-623-2155 x111
- Community Address:
16 Bell Rd
PO Box 48
Middlefield, Massachusetts, 01243
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Festivals, Conferences, Events, Community Center shared meals 2x/wk, gym, daycare space needs coordinator, gardens, indoor greenhouse.
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The Common House expense is carried by the co-located business, so community members have use of the space, but there’s no money requirement, just the obligation of harmonious use not burdensome to others. Households are independent and can structure household finances as they choose.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Swimming pond or pool, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Gym or sports area, Daycare, forest, grazing land,
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Wiccan
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Up to each family or individual
Co-housing, Co-Village, rural sustainability, Western Mass, Hilltowns, eco-living, green design,