Austin Senior CoHousing
Austin, Texas, United States
- Last updated: February 12, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: January 20, 2017
Austin Senior CoHousing offers older independent Seniors of like mind and interests the opportunity to join forces, resolve our own social and financial issues, and maintain control of the inevitable challenges of aging as long as possible.
Austin Senior CoHousing seeks to build, maintain and member-manage a village for aging-in-place of some 25 residents. Our challenge continues to be finding a suitable location near goods, services, healthcare and social opportunities needed by Seniors; but when that is secured, we will name our property. Core members are retired, but we seek couples and singles age 50 and over. Austin enjoys a robust economy and a plethora of continuing educational, social, and cultural opportunities. Our intent is to build small but stylish single family homes and generational homes incorporating universal design for aging-in-place and low maintenance materials. Homes will be available for purchase in the range of $200K to $300K per unit by member occupants; and perhaps for rent under the same guidelines as apply to members. Our design concept includes flex bedrooms which may be used by guests or staff and possibly guest quarters in the Common House. A monthly fee will cover use of common areas, exterior insurance, grounds and building maintenance, and other agreed common costs. On our wish list is contract employees who provide a concierge menu of services such as housekeeping, transportation, meals, fitness, social and cultural opportunities. Our intent is to live independently among companionable neighbors for as long as possible. Please feel free to request an update on our progress and or to visit further about our concept and goals if you are a prospective member.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2014
- Start Living Together: 2019
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Hazel Gully
- Phone: 512-698-8665
- Mailing Address:
18 Waterfall Dr
Austin, Texas, 78738
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Recreational vehicles, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
There is the expectation that those who choose aging-in-place are emotionally and physically healthy enough to live independently and that what they seek from the community is a healthy environment where healthcare practices, fitness, and exercise play roles in continuing healthy lifestyles.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
Together with healthy lifestyles, we anticipate that music, continuing education, appreciation of the arts, and lively debate about the world at large will continue to be of interest to our neighbors. As friendships form around personal preferences, we anticipate smaller groups will pursue other mutual interests such as travel, theater, continuing adult education, hobbies, sports, etc.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), National CoHousing Association
Seniors, sustainable, stylish, health conscious, companionship, cooperative living