Ashland Cohousing Community
Ashland, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: February 12, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 25, 2005
sustainable, affordable, caring about one another
Located one mile from downtown Ashland near parks, schools, and a bike path, this is in-town housing in a small town. We have several families with young children, as well as single and older members. Biographies are available on our website, along with a values statement and other tidbits.
Homes range from one to four bedrooms and all have small private yards. All homes have many south-facing windows, passive ventilation, radiant heat, and superior insulation, and they qualify for Earth Advantage, our local sustainable building certification.
We worked on this project for four and a half years. Since we acted as our own developer, all members contributed substantial time to the project. We practice facilitation and group process skills and are committed to clean communications, caring about each other, and having fun.
As a small community, we place a premium on getting to know people before they become members. In the event a home goes up for sale, we maintain a list of interested buyers for sellers to use.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2002
- Start Living Together: 2007
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.ashlandcoho.com
- Contact Name: Ashland Cohousing Community
- Phone: 541-488-1171
- Community Address:
1230 Calypso Ct.
Ashland, Oregon, 97520
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Please inquire within
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
home purchase, HOA fees
monthly dues: HOA dues and monthly
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegan, Kosher, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
vegetarian options always available
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Jewish, Atheist, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
We do live in an area that has a particulalry high rate of unvaccinated children.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations