Ananda Community, Lynnwood, WA
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
- Last updated: June 5, 2016 (11 months ago)
- Listing created on: January 8, 2009
meditation, service, friends
The Ananda Community in Lynnwood is 10 miles north of downtown Seattle, WA. The Community is a 32-unit apartment complex on 5.5 acres and is part of the network of Ananda Communities worldwide. Residency is open to all who are sincere and open to the practice of meditation and yoga in the tradition and teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda (author of “Autobiography of a Yogi”). There are approximately 45 adults in residence. There are both Community and individual gardens. Residents grow vegetables, fruit, and flowers; the grounds include a chicken coop, ornamental landscaping, large trees, a swimming pool, a nature trail, and a lawn for gatherings and play. A separate structure serves as a meditation and yoga room for classes and gatherings, banquets, and much more. A Community kitchen is run by residents and provides three vegetarian dinners each week, open to friends and visitors as well as residents. Nearby Ananda Meditation Temple and a teaching center in Seattle offer two locations for classes in meditation and yoga and much more. The first Ananda Community was established in 1968 by Swami Kriyananda, direct disciple of Paramhansa Yogananda, near Nevada City, California, USA.
Residents may rent or own their apartments. Rents are set at local market rates for comparable apartments, plus residents contribute “dues” to support the cost of social and spiritual activities that are above and beyond what is normally provided for by comparable rents. Members of Ananda, whether in the Lynnwood community or elsewhere in the nation, formed an LLC to hold title to the property. An on-site manager and a maintenance person handle day-to-day needs, with the help of participants in periodic community work days and volunteers. The complex is leased to the local Ananda organization for the operation of an intentional spiritual community.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1992
- Start Living Together: 1992
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://AnandaSeattle.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/anandacommunitylynnwood/?fref=ts
- Contact Name: Larry Rider, Manager
- Phone: (425) 361 9072
- Community Address:
20715 Larch Way #101
Lynnwood, Washington, 98036
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Spiritual Living
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Husband & Wife are spiritual directors
supportive leadership helps group achieve consensus
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $60
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
expected, but not required
$60/month for group activities & space
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Large Scale Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We have a CSA structure for food growing
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ananda Community
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Northwest Intentional Communities Association
Ananda Assisi, Ananda Farm Camano Island, Ananda Village
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
Yogananda, Ananda, Spirital Living