Ithaca, New York, United States
- Last updated: November 20, 2016 (6 months ago)
- Listing created on: October 1, 2013
New Earth Living creates vibrant neighborhoods that connect people to one another and our
shared earth, providing spaces for trust, purpose, play, and ease. The Amabel Pocket
Neighborhood is one of those places. Amabel addresses the need for low-carbon living,
healthy and delicious food, energy and resource renewal, and meaningful social connections.
To this end, New Earth Living will build 30 fee-simple homes on individual parcels to create a
neighborhood that fulfills a need for privacy and tranquility along with supportive, enlivening
relationships; conserves natural resources; reduces greenhouse gases; and produces food.
The Amabel Pocket Neighborhood project will provide 30 single-family homes on a gorgeous
piece of land close to downtown Ithaca, the beautiful Cayuga Lake, Buttermilk Falls State park,
the Ithaca Farmers’ Market, Greenstar grocery, shopping, restaurants, and many other
destinations reachable by walking, bike, canoe, or kayak. The houses are arranged to allow
private enjoyment of the site’s exquisite natural beauty while simultaneously creating
opportunities for interactions among residents and visitors. Growing and enjoying food, solarenergy
production, and community-building practices are also key components of this cuttingedge
The Amabel project is a venture of New Earth Living (NEL) LLC, a real-estate development
company founded by Susan Cosentini. New Earth Living previously built the highly
successful Aurora Street Pocket Neighborhood in the City of Ithaca.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2013
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://amabel.newearthliving.net/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NewEarthLiving/
- Contact Name: susan cosentini
- Phone: 6072772700
- Community Address:
619 Five Mile Dr.
Ithaca, New York, 14850
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Please visit our community building website called Amabel Connection to meet potential residents and join the conversations http://amabel.newearthliving.net/amabel-connection/
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Outbuilding(s)
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
The Aurora Pocket Neighborhood and EcoVillage at Ithaca
fun, play,ease, communal, living, peaceful