Julian, Pennsylvania, United States
- Last updated: January 13, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 1, 2006
We are seeking to build a veganic homesteading neighborhood that embodies Ahimsa through our living.
Ahimsa is an evolving veganic homestead and permaculture demonstration site located near State College, PA started in 2005. Our original vision included developing a small vegan intentional community with residential members, education center, and small business enterprises. Our current activities focus on local food production including veganic gardens, small fruits, nuts, mushrooms, and maple syrup and vegan education/outreach through book discussion groups and vegan potlucks often combined with an educational event. One of our primary goals is to serve as an example of vegan homesteading in action. We have had lots of meetings, workshops, educational events, potlucks, classes, and interested/curious people come to our homestead over the years. We have evolved towards being a regional educational resource for vegan homesteading and education rather than an intentional community. However we are definitely interested in connecting with other vegans and are thinking that a “neighborhood” of semi-independent but mutually supportive vegan homesteads/households sharing land in close proximity would be a great model. We are always interested in dialoging with other vegetarians/vegans who are interested in the homesteading life! If you are interested in finding out more about us or would like to schedule a visit please contact us at [email protected]
- Status: Re-forming
- Started Planning: 2005
- Start Living Together: 2006
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.ahimsavillage.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ahimsavillage/
- Other social: http://veganhomesteading.wordpress.com/
- Contact Name: Ahimsa Village
- Phone: 814-355-0850
- Community Address:
4022 S. Eagle Valley Rd
Julian, Pennsylvania, 16844
This Community is Re-formingYear re-formed: 2012-01-01
Transitioning to local resource center and developing a veganic homesteading neighborhood.
- Type(s): Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s)
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We practice a whole food vegan diet. Our goal is to grow most of our own food veganically. What we cannot grow we try to buy local and organic.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Diamond Approach
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
vegan, veganic, homesteading, permaculture, whole foods plant diet