Abundant Dawn Community
Floyd, Virginia, United States
- Last updated: January 20, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Loving and sustainable culture
We have 70 acres in a Virginia Conservation Land Trust to protect the land. We continue to work on our land plan and guidelines to care for the environment as we build our dreams together.
We are committed to living thoughtfully–with beauty, economy, conviviality, and care. We love this land where we live and try to treat it well. We study and practice environmentally sound building methods, use composting or low water use toilets, and in one building area have a constructed wetland for our gray water treatment. We eat together regularly, help each other out, and enjoy each others company.
While our adult members currently include single, partnered, and married individuals, we welcome diversity of lifestyle. We strive to listen to each other as we make consensus decisions and live closely. While we have no unified spiritual path, we strive to honor different expressions of spirituality as a way to honor our diversity as individuals. We enjoy celebrations of many kinds of special days each year including Thanksgiving and the Solstices.
We share community expenses.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1994
- Start Living Together: 1995
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.abundantdawn.org/
- Contact Name: Vistor Coordinator
- Phone: 540-745-5853
- Community Address:
439 Valley Ln
Floyd, Virginia, 24091
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
All independent income.
Personal debt is the sole responsibility of each member.
Not tracked by hour; averages 10 hours/week, and need not be physical labor for those with limitations in that area.
$300 security deposit for individual/family. There is also a building fee when the member is ready to build.
Monthly fees based on shared community expenses, and shared food basics.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Individual prefernces are respected for community meals.
Up to individuals.
Individual choice; not in community buildings.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)