Village Hearth Cohousing, Durham NC
- Community With Opening
- Durham, NC
Village Hearth Cohousing
Village Hearth will be the first 55+ LGBT-focused cohousing community in the US. Now under construction in progressive Durham, NC on 15 beautiful acres for move-in late 2019/early 2020. Friends and allies (and pets) are welcome.
Only a few homes are still available and we are so pleased with the way our community has come together. We are building 28 single-story, accessible, cottage-style homes with big front porches and private backyards. Shared facilities will be an extension of our homes and encourage social interactions.
In order to “Get it Right” we engaged the experts. Katie McCamant, Cohousing Solutions, is our development consultant and Charles Durrett, McCamant and Durrett, Architects, shepherded us through the design process.
- coming together with the intention of being good neighbors while living our best lives.
- purposely designing our surroundings to encourage social interactions and mutual support while providing ample privacy.
- collaborating to create a culture that values respect, creativity, and belonging.
- managing our community with an eye toward social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
Our Community Includes…
- over 15 acres with ample space for gardens, walking trails, and quiet contemplation.
- a 2600 sf Common House and spacious terrace with a gourmet kitchen, great room, exercise, media, sitting, and arts & crafts rooms.
- additional planned facilities like a woodworking shop, art studio, bike shed, storage building, dog park, and more.
- an amazing group of people who bring a vast array of interests, talents, and experiences to share.
LGBTs, Friends, and Allies
There is joy in living where we can be ourselves openly, with people who appreciate our life experiences. We welcome friends and allies to share our journey!
Durham is open and friendly with a large, visible gay community and a new LGBTQ Center. It hosts NC Pride and the renowned NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival.
Durham benefits from top universities and the Research Triangle Park, providing a stimulating environment with a diverse and engaged population. Once the center of the tobacco industry, architecturally unique old warehouses have been repurposed, leading a renaissance in entrepreneurship, arts, and commerce. Durham’s lively arts scene boasts dance, film, music, music, museums, sports, festivals, and fine restaurants.
We have abundant access to natural areas, lakes, and rivers. Our land has access to the Mountains to Sea Trail. The American Tobacco Trail is 22+ miles of paths for walking and biking right through the city.
Village Hearth is 15 minutes from Durham’s vibrant downtown, 30 minutes from RDU International Airport, and 10 minutes from the nationally ranked top-ten Duke University Health System.
Located in North Central North Carolina, Durham is 40 miles from the Virginia border, 140 miles from the Appalachian highlands, and 150 miles from the coast. It is served by RDU International Airport.
Join Us Now…
To secure one of the few available homes and help create the culture of our community
Pat McAulay: [email protected]
Margaret Roesch: (561) 714-8009