Community Living in the Heart of West Asheville, NC
- Land, Houses, Real Estate
E18: 3 Bedroom / 2 Bath / 1288 square feet – $285,000
- Green-built, energy-efficient construction
- New exterior paint and roof
- Radiant floor heat throughout using solar/gas hot water
- Large pantry in kitchen
- Rear deck on main level with private patio on bottom level
- Energy-efficient washer/dryer
Westwood Cohousing Community was established in 1998 on the Denmark model for community living with a central common house. Homes are situated around gardens and a green, giving residents a walkable community that encourages interaction. Meals are shared a number of times a week in the central common house that is also used for meetings, educational events, yoga, playroom, lounges and a wood shop. The 4 acres of land has walkable trails with a gazebo, organic gardens for growing vegetables, flowers and a peace garden. The nature of the community encourages interaction. Regular potlucks, occasional evening fire pit gatherings and special community events are the norm. It’s an established community, but still evolving, experimenting, improving and celebrating!
Cohousing amenities include:
- Common House with large dining room and commercial kitchen, 3 lounge/meeting rooms, yoga room/children’s playroom, fenced play yard, 2 guest rooms with bathroom, wood shop & tool room, 2 additional bathrooms, laundry room, WiFi, television, copier/fax
- large raised-bed vegetable garden and shared garden tools
- terraced community garden with fruit trees, berries and vegetable garden plots
- children’s playground directly outside the unit
- 2 acres of woods walks with stream and screened-in gazebo
- ornamental gardens with native trees, shrubs and perennials
All exterior maintenance, heat, hot water, landscaping, fire and liability insurance included in monthly homeowners’ association assessment.
Total heated square feet: 1,288.
Property taxes $3,186
Electricity: average $60/month
Water and Wastewater Treatment: average $15/month for each person
Heat and hot water: average $27/month
The Zillow listing is here. There are other photos of the house and Westwood here.
More about Westwood:
- Governance Structure: For twenty years, Westwood made all decisions with consensus but in 2018 started using Sociocracy as a governing structure. A final decision about governance structure has not been made yet, but Sociocracy is working well.
- Community Service: This policy is also in flux. Previously the requirement was for four hours of service to the community per month. What is being discussed now (March 2019) is that members sign up for and fulfill specific work commitments in support of a minimum of two Westwood circles.
- Pets: Cats are allowed outdoors on an owner’s property within a fenced escape-proof enclosure and can go off the property on a leash. Any barking or aggressive dog which becomes a nuisance must be removed by the other from the property.
Please see this flyer for details of assessments.
Information about Asheville:
- Westwood is in the Asheville City Schools district, and there are also several well-regarded charter schools in the area, one of which is in walking distance of Westwood.
- There are many quality restaurants and music venues in West Asheville. Quite a few are in walking distance, since Westwood is close to downtown West Asheville. See the Explore Asheville website for more information.
- Asheville is also known for outdoor adventures, and the Romantic Asheville website lists many area attractions.
- The Biltmore Estate is worth exploring for a day (or more). Locals have season passes and maybe go into the house once in a while, but spend most of their time exploring the vast grounds and gardens.
- Asheville is also known as Beer City, but there are some quality cider houses as well, including one in West Asheville.