Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Last updated: March 4, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: March 22, 2015
Our intention is to empower each other through living a community focused healthy lifestyle.
Our shared goal is to empower each other through living a community focused, mindful, and present lifestyle. We live together in a large 4 story brownstone with shared communal areas on the 1st and 4th floors as well as a large communal backyard and a full workshop in the basement. Each floor has its own bathroom and kitchen as well.
We regularly eat and meditate together and periodically host events. We have community dinner every Thursday evening. We are health oriented, most of us are members of the Park Slope Food Coop and we grow our own herbs and some vegetables.
We choose new community members based on a consensus process by the group. The best way to meet the group is during community dinners on Thursday. If you are interested, please send a message telling us about yourself and why you might like to live here.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2009
- Start Living Together: 2010
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Business, Project, or Organization: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Youtopia/137080356336539
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Youtopia-137080356336539
- Contact Name: Alan Shurafa
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Supporting each other in mindful eating practices is one of the pillars of the community.
Every meal we serve is mostly Vegan/Vegetarian (95%+ of the time).
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)