Whitehall Intentional Society, Inc.
Austin, Texas, United States
- Last updated: February 13, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
independence within community
Whitehall is a democratically run, vegetarian, multi-generational housing cooperative. Our mission is to offer affordable housing, with an emphasis on community living. A Whitehall fact sheet from the late ‘80s states that Whitehall strives to achieve a non-sexist, non-racist, non-competitive living environment, and we continue with those intentions and values today.
Whitehall was established in 1949 as an all-women’s student co-op. We went co-ed and started accepting non-students in 1971. You can learn more about Whitehall’s history on the Whitehall History site.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1949
- Start Living Together: 1949
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.whitehallcoop.com
- Phone: 512-472-7382
- Community Address:
2500 Nueces St
Austin, Texas, 78705-4522
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We have officer positions including President, Treasurer, Secretary, Labor Coordinator, and others.
The board is made up of four officers and a community trustee. Their powers are limited and the full membership must approve all policies and decisions of the board.
We have a slightly modified consensus process where two dissenting votes are required to veto a policy or decisions.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 5
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
5 hours a week
1st month’s room and board and $500 deposit
room and board
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Wind
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Internet, laptop, TV for watching movies, patio area
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We do not spend our pooled money on meat. Most cooks offer wheat and dairy free options.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No