Anywhere, Vermont, United States
- Last updated: December 11, 2016 (5 months ago)
- Listing created on: October 10, 2011
Rational. Sustainable. Live. Love. Learn.
We are a group of Libertarian Socialists, on a mission to create an Educational, Intentional Community Enterprise that’s grounded in Naturalism, Egalitarianism and Environmentalism.
By embracing Anarchist Communism, Sociocracy, Secular Humanist ethics, interpersonal and ecological intimacy, education, art, science and technology, we will create an high-tech environment that delivers optimal individual freedom and happiness, a strong and cohesive community, comprehensive sustainable self-sufficiency and regional ecological sustainability. And, we will do all of this, while living out our lives in an evolving therapeutic environment of our own creation.
Our Therapeutic Ecovillage will consist of at least 4 parts. Each component will serve three basic functions: 1) provide for the direct needs of the community 2) deliver revenue from outside sources 3) serve marginalized populations.
1)Walden Ecoversity: an education, research and training center that develops academic, technological and vocational programming , products and services that relate to rational, sustainable living.
2) Walden Farm: All community lands and natural resources constitute the farm.
a) It will provide year-round organic sustenance for residents & guests.
b) Functions as the hands-on training facility for the Wellness Resort’s Right Living curriculum.
c) It is the laboratory for the agricultural college.
3) Walden Wellness Resort featuring: ABA, REBT, Secular Humanism, Permaculture & various non-mystical Eastern practices.
c)Spa (yoga, meditation, massage, exercise, Dietitian, personal services)
4)Ancillary businesses will be developed from mission-related factors, community need and the skills that members bring to the enterprise.
Our Therapeutic Ecovillage Community Enterprise will:
1) provide ‘Quality of All Life’ research, training, support and social entrepreneurial functions.
2) demonstrate the exceptional lifestyle & individual happiness that’s derived from living rationality, communally & ethically.
3) grow, disseminate and replicate.
This overview is VERY superficial; please check out our website: http://www.waldenecovillage.info/ for a comprehensive description of our project.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2006
- Start Living Together: 2020
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://acorncommunity.org/walden/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walden-Ecovillage/160800580680525
- Other social: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secular_humanist_ecovillage/
- Contact Name: Michael
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Location: To be Determined
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Consent is the guiding principle of Sociocratic governance, however, decision processes will vary w/ type of decision.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Hydro-Electric, Biomass, Biogas
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Recreational vehicles, Waterfront access, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Private Schooling at the Community
- Healthcare Options: Partial, Special, or Limited Community Plan
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
humanism, education, atheist, anarchist, communist, science, behaviorism, permaculture, sociocracy