Vegetarian Sanctuary – A Prepper Haven
Eastern Washington State Region, Washington, United States
- Last updated: March 2, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 25, 2005
Living Food & Energy Self-Reliant Lifestyles at this Prepper Haven, Vegetarianism, Cooperation, Education to the public
We’re Daniel and Patti EarthStewards, a vegetarian couple who have been long time Homesteaders, Preppers and Communitarians. We’ve lived a back-to-the-land food and energy self-reliant lifestyle since 1990, with a previous study of these lifestyles and preparations since the late 70’s.
We seek Co-Founders for a collectively run vegetarian Eco village and a Prepper Haven we’d like to call a Vegetarian Sanctuary.
At Vegetarian Sanctuary our wish is to co-create with a unified voice and make enduring alliances. Our goals are to restore sustainable lifestyles, to live close to the land, and to teach the right use of our planets limited resources.
We realized years ago the importance of preparing for social, political, economic and environmental changes which are unfolding. Recently we felt it was time to organize a Prepper Haven on our farm located north of Spokane, WA.
The Hopi advice we tap into as a guide for this Haven can be read at: http://www.communityworks.info/hopi.htm
Especially significant to us are the questions the Hopi asked…
“What are you doing? What are your relationships? Are you in right relation? Where are you living? Where is your water?” Also…”Know your garden”.
We at Vegetarian Sanctuary have been asking ourselves the same type of questions since the late 1970’s. We’re as prepared as any intentional community could be to positively respond to these questions.
Our intention with Vegetarian Sanctuary is to establish an embankment to grab hold of, where vegetarian Preppers of good will may gather together when the rivers of change are sweeping us all downstream. And like the Hopi advised, we’re reaching out to see who would like to be there with us.
We’re serious about THRIVING in this time of uncertainty and have planned for the dollar collapse, earth changes and civil unrest. If you, like us, are feeling that weird vibe and sense something is coming, but you cannot put your finger on it, then you have met the right people to talk to about this at Vegetarian Sanctuary. We are doers, not talkers, and we want to be joined by those of like mind.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 1990
- Start Living Together: 1990
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GatheringOurTribe/info
- Contact Name: Daniel & Patti EarthStewards
- Mailing Address:
Eastern Washington State Region, Washington, 99009-9695
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Consensus decisions are made on Haven projects orientated upon food and energy self-reliance and those infrastructures that we all build and maintain for the benefit of all members. Since we looking for Co-Founders who will make up the core group of this IC with us these will also take on its leadership responsibilities with us as the core group. Ideally, we would like everyone to take on the Co-Founding responsibilities with us as no person or couple can do as good a job at this unaided.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 20
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Additional Comments:
If someone plans to join this Haven who has debts, but who wants to work at a regular job to pay off their debts while exploring becoming a member of this IC, then this person can rent some place near by this Haven to do so and maintain an associate membership at this Haven.
During food growing and processing season 40 hours per week per person for food self-reliance. If not possible one may pay another to meet weekly quotas. We also encourage members to acquire a year’s supply of food storage.
Since Egalitarianism is the ideal we will strive to live in this IC, when it comes to supplies, materials or services that all members use or benefit from, all must contribute into the common pot to pay whatever bills or to acquiring whatever items or services that are needful.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Hydro-Electric
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: No
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Shared Vegetarian meals are voluntary and planned when convenient
We grow, process and store 95% of our year around vegetarian diet-Can do 100% in community
We raise no animals for meat, people may if they wish to develop the needful infrastructures for animals, we have for 10 hens for their eggs, and goats could be added for their milk
We don’t drink or use drugs
Tobacco has a Virus that kills tomatoes and pepper plants
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Federation of Egalitarian Communities (FEC), Ecovillage Network of the Americas, Northwest Intentional Communities Association, Utopian EcoVillage Network Federation
Gathering Our Tribe – A Prepper Haven
Survival, Vegetarianism, Food & Energy Self-Reliance, Sustainable, Educational Center