Torri Superiore Ecovillage
Ventimiglia, Imperia, Italy
- Last updated: February 29, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 25, 2005
Ecovillage, sustainable community, responsible tourism, organic farming, social inclusion and participatory processes.
The village was abandoned by all original inhabitants, and progressively restored over the last 25 years by a community of Italians and Germans. The village is made of 160 rooms, all built in local stone and lime, which still feature the traditional arches and vaults.
The cultural association that has developed the project since 1989 is formed also by non-residents and owns about 50 percent of the village, while the other 50 percent is individually owned by the members. Only members of the association are entitled to buy property in Torri Superiore.
The restoration of the buildings respects the original characters of the beautiful hamlet while using ecological materials and appropriate technologies whenever possible. A variety of courses and educational activities is offered every year, on topics always related to sustainabilyt and communal living. Organic agriculture activities focus mainly on olive oil production and vegetable gardens to supply the community & guesthouse.
The proximity to the beautiful river and the sea, the easily accessible walks on the surrounding mountains, and the mild climate make Torri Superiore an attractive location for ecologically sensitive people who appreciate the informal, friendly style of the group. A welcoming ecological guesthouse with cozy bedrooms, a large panoramic meeting room and an excellent organic restaurant is open to all visitors and groups. Check our facebook page for current events.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1989
- Start Living Together: 1995
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.torri-superiore.org
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.torri-superiore.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EcovillaggioTorriSuperiore/?ref=hl
- Contact Name: Lucilla Borio
- Phone: +39-0184 215504
- Community Address:
Via Torri Superiore 5
Ventimiglia, Imperia, 18039
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Qualified majority is used at the annual meeting of the Association, but we are moving towards consensus.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $300
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 8
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Additional Comments:
All residents serve a minimum of 6 to 10 hours per week
A monthly fee is requested to cover food and accommodation costs
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biomass, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Mediterranean and oriental, little meat, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, mostly organic
Wine is served only at dinner (evening meal)
Smoking is allowed only outdoors
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), RIVE – Rete Italiana Villaggi Ecologici www.ecovillaggi.it, Accademia Italiana di Permacultura www.permacultura.it
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
ecovillage, restoration, ecotourism, permaculture, farming, vacations