The Sugar Shack
Los Angeles, California, United States
- Last updated: July 3, 2016 (10 months ago)
- Listing created on: September 12, 2005
art, sustainable living
The Sugar Shack is a Los Angeles intentional community committed to social change through cooperative living, art, and activism. We do this by living communally in Mid-City and providing free of charge spaces for individuals and group gatherings.
All residents of our home are actively dedicated to the principles of sustainability and creative collaboration. Each of us contributes to a mutual support structure that connects us together in shared purpose, despite our diverse backgrounds.
We strive to maintain a tranquil yet vibrant environment in our building. The cleanliness of our home leaves guests speechless. We share a commitment to bring consciousness and devotion into all aspects of domestic life. We achieve this through our weekly house meetings, our comprehensive chore-sharing system, and our “No Dish Left Behind” policy.
The Sugar Shack residence consists of a large 7 bedroom house. The main, street-facing wall of the house leads into our Community Room, a converted storefront with a full performance stage, pool table, as well as The Bus, a front half of a real school-bus that was installed into the wall and repurposed as a cozy hangout.
The Sugar Shack also includes two outdoor patios, a garden, and a large 2-floor warehouse of workspaces and artist’s studios.
It is The Sugar Shacks continuing mission to embody every positive potential of cooperative living, and to act as a heart of a larger community of integrity, joy and peace.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sugarshackLA
- Community Address:
4402 W Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, California, 90019
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Weekly house meetings. Independent efforts for home improvement projects are welcomed, but unanimity is required for major decisions.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
Monthly rent to cover house expenses including mortgage, insurance, taxes, gas/water, internet and bulk household items and staple foods.
Each resident must perform a set number of chore hours each week. Residents are also expected to volunteer for an Energy Exchange role and take charge of various aspects of the community life.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
los angeles, green, organic, couch surfing