San Mateo Ecovillage
San Mateo, California, United States
- Last updated: January 18, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: November 10, 2004
sustainability / social change
Values we would like to see “grow” on this site can be summed up in the concept of sustainable development: growing some of our own food; supporting local organic farmers in farmers’ markets or in a community-supported agriculture (CSA); reducing, reusing, recycling; avoiding buying food and other items that contribute to the destruction of local economies and the environment. We want to share time in the garden, meals at the dinner table, and other activities with the people we live with. We seek open communication and a deep expression of feelings. We expect those wishing to join us to have a commitment to these values and goals as well.
Community founders are also very involved in progressive politics, and although not a requirement, would welcome people who share their passion for planetary transformation.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1998
- Start Living Together: 1998
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://wordpress.com/sanmateoecovillage
- Contact Name: San Mateo Ecovillage
- Community Address:
3329 Los Prados St
San Mateo, California, 94403
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
My husband and I are founders, but do not necessarily need to remain as leaders.
We are moving in that direction.
We try to use consensus when appropriate. Some decisions need to be made by owners.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
about 12 hours/month in the garden, shared meal and meeting weekly
rent or mortgage payment in one of the most expensive housing areas in the country
rent or mortgage share, share gardening expenses
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Hot tub or hot springs, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
informal sharing at other times
common meals are vegetarian
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates pieces from many religions)
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), Ecovillage Network of the Americas
Enchanted Garden Intentional Community, Dragon Belly Farm, Damanhur, Federation of Communities