Auroville, Tamil Nadu, India
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: February 20, 2011
reforestation & personal growth
We are a vegan unschooling family establishing a sustainable community. Our main project is the reforestation of 70 acres of severely eroded land in the international community of Auroville. We are working to re-create the Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest indigenous to our area. We practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, organic gardening, alternative construction, solar energy, and composting toilets. Throughout the year, we welcome volunteers of all ages and physical abilities, and warmly invite families with children. Accommodation is free in exchange for 4 hours of work per day, 5 days a week. Free facilities include: bungalows, bicycles, a small book collection, a small swimming pool, a vegan community kitchen, and a children’s playground. Sadhana Forest offers an environment for personal development, yoga and meditation. Auroville offers a wealth of courses, workshops and treatments in areas, including yoga, meditation, tai-chi, shiatsu, water shiatsu, etc.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2003
- Start Living Together: 2003
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://sadhanaforest.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4948502345/
- Contact Name: Aviram Rozin
- Community Address:
Auroville, Tamil Nadu, 605101
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $180
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 30
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
4 hours/day, 5 days/week
13,000 rupees per month including 1000 refundable deposit & all accommodation
fee for food as described above (400 rupees per day)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar, human
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Outdoor Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual