Last updated: February 3, 2014 (2 years ago)
Listing created on: March 4, 2008
Sacred Garden Sanctuary
(Douglas, Arizona, United States)
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2004
- Start Living Together: 2009
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community.
- Website address: http://sacredgardensanctuary.org
- Contact Name: Edwin Basye, Steward
- Phone: 520-445-3119
P.O. Box 452
Douglas, Arizona, 85607
We are focused on sustainability using permaculture methodologies and a simple low-impact lifestyle. We plan to construct a food-producing ecosystem that will provide many fresh fruits and vegetables, non-certified organic.
Our plan for housing is to use modified Cal-Earth adobe construction to build small homes for participants and visitors and a community center.
Our mission is to to:
• produce surplus food to sell at farmers’ markets and restaurants and give a portion to food banks.
• develop other agriculture/food related businesses
• research and develop dry-land sustainable agriculture;
• host workshops in sustainable living;
• encourage personal spiritual growth;
• enjoy life to its fullest potential;
We interact with the city of Douglas, about 11 miles away, and Bisbee, about 40 miles away and get involved as each individual desires.
Our values are aligned with permaculture values:
• caring for people
• caring for the earth
• limiting population growth and recycling/re-use of resources to ensure the sustainability of human civilization
We value culture and diversity.
We believe that a large percentage of raw foods in the diet, primarily fruit and vegetables, enhances and sustains health, and we will be focusing our agriculture in that direction.
We plan to leave much of the 40 acres undeveloped to provide a place for natural flora and fauna to flourish and to have recreational space.
We have participation requirements on our website. We are still refining the guidelines for taking care of housing capital costs, which will include purchase up-front by members and rent in lieu of purchase.
WHEN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT MEMBERSHIP: Please give a detailed description of your background, your skills, and where you are currently located.