Rocky Hill Cohousing
Northhampton, Massachusetts, United States
- Last updated: March 19, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 26, 2005
r r r Mission and Values r r r
The Mission of Rocky Hill Co-Housing is to be a thriving community
of neighbors, whose life together fosters connectedness,
learning from each other and living lightly on the earth.
We value and strive toward:
1. Supporting and nurturing each community member, from infant to elder,
and treating each other with kindness, compassion and respect.
2. Welcoming people of diverse identities, including race, ethnicity, spirituality, age, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, family composition and
3. Building relationships and connections through daily interactions, community meals, activities, celebrations, rituals, work and helping one another.
4. Raising children together in community.
5. A decision-making process that builds consensus by soliciting and valuing input from all, ensuring that everyone is heard and resulting in decisions
that everyone can agree to live by.
6. Resolving conflicts through honest, direct and respectful communication.
7. Giving our care, time and work to ourselves, our families and homes,
our community at Rocky Hill, the wider community and the world.
8. Improving our collective and individual stewardship of the earth
and minimizing our impact on the planet.
9. Creating and maintaining an emotional and physical environment
that encourages and supports mutual concern and well-being.
approved january 9, 2010
We have created a neighborhood that recaptures the essence of community, a human environment that fosters interconnectedness, safety, growth, and meaningful live. The physical environment serves the needs and enhances the well-being of the individuals and the community. We wish to live in harmonious relationship to our place on the earth.
Our cohousing neighborhood includes 28 homes (mostly duplexes) clustered around a common house. There are also five “associate member” (privately owned) houses built along the road leading into Rocky Hill Cohousing.
We own 28 acres and occupy nine; the remainder is forested.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2005
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.rockyhillcohousing.org/
- Contact Name: Rocky Hill Cohousing
- Community Address:
106 Black Birch Trail
Northhampton, Massachusetts, 01062
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: cohousing community
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
An elected and rotating Board of Trustees
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
guideline is 6 – 10 hours per month per adult
monthly community fee
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas, sledding hill; woods with trails
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Protestant, Catholic, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist, Atheist, Agnostic
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual