Austin, Texas, United States
- Last updated: March 2, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: June 14, 2012
To provide a space that cultivates sustainable social and environmental culture. We aim to relinquish non consensual power hierarchies created from our societal influences and build off of each other’s experience and background to better the earth, the cooperative and ourselves.
We are one of the 8 community cooperative here in Austin Texas. Our focus is on environmental sustainability and community building. We are governed through consensus process and highly value communication. Roots was founded by 10 activists out of the Occupy movement and takes a strong political and social stance for equality by gaining awareness of societal generated oppression and creating a new standard for non-hierarchical relationships.
We have a few raised bed gardens, a hugelmound, wicking beds and an aquaponics system. Cats, dogs, people, chickens and the occasional guinea fowl and turkey live here. We are renters who all have different hopes and dreams. Some of us wish to acquire land and some wish to integrate into other types of societies, cultures and cooperatives. Our current goal is to open up the passions of each other with the freedom of expression and allow each individual to blossom while creating a stronger blueprint of how a coop should walk and talk.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RootsEcovillage
- Community Address:
1708 Fortview Rd
Austin, Texas, 78704
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 5
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
roots, sustainability, cooperative, anarchy, consensus, organic, austin, urban farming, commune, co-