Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
- Last updated: January 14, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: July 1, 2011
Sustainable Living Practices
Project funding is provided by participants in the community, whether subscribing contributors to the model, shorter term guests, monthly renters, or simply floor campers just passing through. Applying stewardship to this old house rewards participants with direct returns on investments.
Anyone interested in visiting is welcome anytime. Shorter term living arrangements will be made on an individual basis. Settling in for a month or so to check out this prospect will involve helping out with the cash flow plus doing some basic work assignments of about 40 hours per month.
A basic premise for Pilot House is that Intentional Community is a personal adventure that explores real frontiers of human social experience and that Community must therefore be intentionally accomplished. An open conversation policy provides our basis for organizing community processes, addressing individual interests, evaluating progress, and meeting any challenges in our cooperative living arrangements.
There are no philosophical or devotional practices required of residents of the community, only honest respect for any adopted by others, and agreement that personal practices will not impose on other member’s lifestyles or liberties.
As the community aspect of this project develops, mutual benefits of shared equity practices and property held in common in the co-op model will be gained. Continuing household members will determine their equitable co-ownership positions in it through their contributions to the project.
Please accept this invitation, if you like, to help explore a work in progress, and further chart its course.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2011
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Jim Drommond
- Phone: 513-828-2930
- Community Address:
3112 W Eighth Street
Cincinnati, Ohio, 45205
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
I am generally leading our start up efforts
Residents manage the household and co-direct development of the project
Established members meet in council to chart our course
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $300
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 10
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We share expenses equally
We share in chores and upkeep
Improvements are financed by building shared equity
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s)
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Maintain good personal hygiene, stay healthy
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual