New Earth Song Cohousing LLC
Bothell, Washington, United States
- Last updated: March 27, 2015 (2 years ago)
- Listing created on: August 23, 2007
Songaia’s new Neighboring Coho
You are invited to learn about our progress in building community on land adjoining Songaia Cohousing. Our vision is to encircle Songaia with neighbors who value community life and our lovely land, and who want to create new possibilities.
About Songaia: Songaia Cohousing is a strong, established community of 38 people in 13 homes on 10.6 acres. Songaia completed its 10-year, self-developed project in 2000—we live in modest homes with abundant land and common facilities near Seattle. Songaia is multi-generational, ages 3 to 72, with only two resales since 2000, one to a New Earth Song member.
Project: Our vision, values, mission, and scope are coming into focus due to our work and that of our consultants. We are self-funding early phases. One adjoining property has been purchased, and we are planning to develop it into a six unit cohousing community.
1. Membership process defined—to help new families understand our vision/plan.
2. Development legal structure (LLC) registered with Washington State.
3. Startup funds raised; more is committed.
4. Half-acre with three-bedroom house bought by subgroup as site of development.
5. 10-week Aging in Place study group completed with six Songaia families.
Costs: LLC members have committed several thousand dollars during the formation.
1. Join Songaia Announcements mailing list on the Songaia website to be notified of public events, open houses, tours, etc.
2. Contact us, take a tour, come to a meeting and consider membership.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2006
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.songaia.com/
- Contact Name: Info at Songaia
- Phone: 206-322-2620
123 234th PL SE
Bothell, Washington, 98021
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Not yet – core group leadership is ad hoc – we expect to investigate alternatives for a sustainable leadership group – we have the experience/wisdom of Songaia to draw on.
We have a defined process, are researching alternative governance structures which would incorporate consensus decision-making.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Members have completely independent finances
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Expected, although details will evolve over time. We have organized several work parties to care for the initial land purchase.
To join the New Earth Song LLC will require significant capital investment.
The eventual cohousing community will of course have fees to cover the cost of running the development.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Not at all important – people may eat however they individually choose.
- Additional Diet Comments:
To be determined, Songaia shares 5 meals per week – we may add shared meals on other days, expanding shared meals available to members of both communities.
Songaia has been gradually expanding its organic gardens, orchards, and now has chickens. We expect to contribute and share in this growing bounty.
To be determined
To be determined – Songaia uses it rarely, but its an individual choice.
To be determined – few at Songaia have ever smoked and there are restrictions about tobacco use in common areas, but its an individual choice.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Sufi, Unitarian Universalist, Other
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, Northwest Intentional Communities Association
Songaia Cohousing Community