N Street Cohousing
Davis, California, United States
- Last updated: December 5, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 26, 2005
sharing resources. meals, etc
“N” Street continues to grow slowly, adding one house at a time. We currently have expanded to 20 houses, 13 homes on “N” Street that back up to 7 homes on the adjacent street. (Two of the homes on N Street are across the street from the community but are occupied by active members.) The removal of fences has created a beautiful open-space area that includes vegetable, flower gardens; a play structure; a hot tub; chicken coop, large grassy area, pond, and more.
We enjoy sharing community meals in our newly rebuilt common house three to four times per week and work parties once a month. We have a rich set of traditions including coming of age ceremonies. We are a mixed community of half renters and half homeowners of around 11 kids and 50 adults.
We make decisions by consensus with everyone having an equal ability to participate after having lived in the community for three months and having attended three meetings. We use a modified consensus where a 75% super majority can vote if consensus cannot be reached after six meetings and three months of effort have passed. So far, we have never gone through that whole process to a vote.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1988
- Start Living Together: 1986
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.nstreetcohousing.org
- Contact Name: N Street Cohousing
- Community Address:
724 N St
Davis, California, 95616
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
fall back 75% supermajority though it has never been used.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
cooking meals and helping in other tasks
$21 per adult per month in dues
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Must have vegetarian option
more vegans all the time
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling