Maryvale, Queensland, Australia
- Last updated: January 14, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: February 14, 2009
Our 112 hectares occupy part of a valley in the western foothills of the Main Range within easy access to Main Range National Park including some of the finest scenery and best bushwalking in Australia. Lying at an altitude between 530 and 713 metres, Mandala enjoys milder, less humid summers than coastal Queensland and colder winters with frequent frosts.
The country is mostly dry sclerophyll forest merging into wet sclerophyll in the riparian areas adjoining nearly three kilometres of double creek frontage. This creek can become a torrent during wet periods, but dries to a series of water holes in drier times, particularly during winter.
Fifteen shareholder homesites occupy fifteen hectares. The remaining 97 hectares of common land, including the entire riparian area are mostly given over to conservation, however about 20 hectares are set aside for human purposes including grazing areas and our community centre.
Our community centre includes a meeting room, workshop, a shelter shed and camping ground with a BBQ and water supply and accommodation for our tractor and other shared equipment. A permanent pool in the creek supplies our farm-wide water system, which reticulates at high pressure to all homesites. Pedestrian swing bridges provide access to several homesite during the infrequent occasions when the creek is in flood.
Since Mandala Pty Ltd was formed in 1975; it has remained democratically run organization working to benefit the lives of its members.
It is less socially structured and ideologically prescriptive than most Intentional Communities, less elaborately planned but much cheaper to join than the typical eco village.
Mandala was one of a large number of land sharing, multiple occupancy ventures started in Australia during that era when many were dubbed ‘hippy communes’.
Most collapsed within a few years, but Mandala survived its initial period of chaos resulting from inter-personal conflict and poor organisation. After many reforms started in the 1980’s, the company and community are now thriving.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1975
- Start Living Together: 1975
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.mandalaaustralia.com.au
- Contact Name: Tim Roselli
- Phone: 61746661013
- Community Address:
839 North Branch Rd
Maryvale, Queensland, 4370
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The Management committee makes the decisions and is open to all shareholders
Although we do strive for consensus
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $450.00
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
As long as it has no impact on Mandala Pty Ltd
Members contribute labour voluntarily, some members receive an honourarium for specific tasks
They need to purchase a share from a member that wants to sell
Quarterly levy to cover rates, etc.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Library, Workshop, Swimming pond or pool, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used often.
- Additional Diet Comments:
there are some vegetarians
mixture of drinkers and non-drinkers
mixture of smokers and non-smokers
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Mandala, Maryvale, intentional community, eco village, eco-village, communities, commune, land shari