Living Roots Ecovillage
French Lick, Indiana, United States
- Last updated: June 2, 2016 (11 months ago)
- Listing created on: May 8, 2011
Art – Centered Permaculture
We are creating an intentional, sustainable, and integrated community. We support each other in fostering physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well being through conscious entrepreneurship and art-centered permaculture design, which includes building, food, energy, education, and wellness systems.
We welcome those who are inspired to collaborate and create this collective vision!
Living Roots EcoVillage is located on a beautiful 75 acre farm near Patoka Lake/French Lick/Paoli, IN. This historic farm has 3 barns, a bunkhouse, a community center, more than 10 springs (including a spring house), good fencing, good soil, a pond, forest, and beautiful rolling pastures. In just about 2 years on the new land, we have built three greenhouses, 5 cabins (including an earthen clay-slip, earth bag dome), an 1800 ft. deer fence, farm stand, outdoor kitchen, produce shed, U-Pick strawberry patch, building workshop, walk-in fridge, earthen grow room, and finished out a community center. We are in the process of building more off-grid cabins (tiny home village), creating more gardens and orchards, digging a pond, building roads, and being creative in many other ways!
We are looking for strong, independent people, who want to work together in this community atmosphere. We have a strong vision of creating this off-the-grid community (all new structures are off-the-grid), supplying most of our food (already doing much of that), and being our own group of empowered healers (currently have weekly massage and yoga classes for all in the community).
Currently we have a need for leaders, farmers, builders, and business/admin specialists. If you aren’t one of these, then that doesn’t mean you couldn’t be a good fit here. We need all types and skills to make this work fully!
We host monthly potlucks, operate a CSA and market farm, sell grass-fed beef, run both farming/healing arts and natural building apprenticeship programs and offer a variety of workshops.
—Support Individual Businesses through availability of low-cost rental space in the form of offices, farm, workshop or retreat center
—Individual homes on community land
—Create rituals such as meditation, solstice/equinox gatherings, drum circles, shared meals and traditional holidays.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2011
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.indianacommunity.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/205654956131598/
- Other social: https://www.facebook.com/livingrootsecovillage
- Contact Name: Michael Hicks
- Phone: 812-727-5444
- Community Address:
5907 W. County Road 375 South
French Lick, Indiana, 47432
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 8
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
working toward vertical integration and self reliance
$300/month which entitles member to lease on a plot of land
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biomass
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Natural and Holistic as first option.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
ecovillage, organic farming, permaculture, off the grid, Indiana, self-reliant, natural building