Light of Freedom, Inc.
Willis, Virginia, United States
- Last updated: December 30, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: November 22, 2004
Forgiveness and relationships
Light of Freedom is developing the “Caregivers Society” an organization that brings caregivers together for education, training, support group, and placement. We are creating a Caregiver List of qualified caregivers for the community to draw upon. We recognize that everyone is a caregiver in some form. We also recognize that non of us have been trained for this job. Our purpose is to fill that void. For more information you can contact.
Some individuals live in the community house and others build their own sustainable homestead. Alternative building methods are strongly encouraged. We prefer to catch and use the sun, wind, water, and earth given us, returning them naturally to the life cycle with zero pollution. Our first house produces its own electric power from the sun and wind, was built from sawmill poplar, and has an earth roof which demonstrates a sustainable life style. We maintain our quiet enjoyment of organic gardening, ponds, and orchard with future.
We give workshops and classes on “A Course in Miracles,” alternative building methods, and renewable energy systems. We meet as a community monthly where decisions are made by 100 % consensus. Meetings begin with our acknowledgment of peace as our one goal, and in peace, understanding comes, allowing us to perceive solutions to community problems. We recognize we share one spirit and one life, and all decisions are given to Spirit for guidance, directions, and resolution. We want to build a council center, and welcome any help in that direction.
For our community, living by the “golden rule” is to perceive in others what you would have them perceive in you. Our vision at Light of Freedom is, and will be, a happy gathering of equals. We welcome visitors; call or write for directions and availability of accommodations.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1993
- Start Living Together: 1995
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: No
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://light.freedom.tripod.com
- Contact Name: Thais Abernethy
- Phone: 540-593-2169
- Community Address:
231 Light of Freedom Way SW
Willis, Virginia, 24380-5003
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Members that live on sight
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
not at this point in time
Fees and dues upon request. when the community decides through concensus it needs money, then it will decide through concensus how to acquire money
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
onsight members eat at least once per week
Working on expanding our gardens
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
light, freedom, ACIM