Olympia, Washington, United States
- Last updated: April 11, 2015 (2 years ago)
- Listing created on: February 27, 2012
Casa Hueso is a collective of community members who strive to continuously create and shape the world we desire to live in. We envision a world without oppression or hierarchy, where power is shared equally, and where all life is treated with dignity. We work to create this future by building housing alternatives that are equally accessible to all and that encourages the exploration of what it means to live in a beloved community. Our goal as a household is to create a cooperative and supportive home, where house members can develop, create and become whatever they desire in their self, alongside others and in the world.
Our home is a large two-story house (plus a very large basement) with 6 bedrooms (2 more in the basement), a large living room and dinning room, and kitchen. We have a large covered backspace (which is convenient for the rainy Olympia weather), a back garden space (that is used mostly for our grazing chickens), and a large front garden space (the chickens aren’t allowed here on account that they keep eating our sprouts!). We also have a large garage used for bike storage, maintenance projects, and roof access. We are all currently renters and do not own the space (something that we would love to change one day!).
We are located on the beautiful west side of Olympia. The house is in walking distance from down town and the west side Olympia Food Co-op and a short distance from The Evergreen State College. On clear days we even have a view of Mount Rainer from our top floor.
Our community consists of artists, activists, musicians, poets, workers, environmentalists, students, radicals, lovers, dreamers, and adventurers.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1999
- Start Living Together: 1999
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-Hueso/194870470617439
- Contact Name: Casa Hueso
- Phone: 360-915-6416
129 Percival Street
Olympia, Washington, 98502
- Type(s): Shared Housing (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling.)
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
Food, rent, utilities, other expenses are shared
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 25-50%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Local (food sourced within 100 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay), Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat important – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
Olympia Housing Collective
Olympia, Washington, Collective, Housing, Casa, Hueso, Family, Black Beans, Rice, Evergreen, State,