Pelion, Magnesia, Greece
- Last updated: January 25, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 25, 2008
Summer community in Greece
We are an educational project, in effect a living-learning community-based summer school, running each year for five months from mid-May through mid-October in Greece. The core community consists of two or three full-time members and up to half a dozen transient volunteers who stay for periods of one to five months, receiving food and accommodation in exchange for their work in the community. Our income is derived from workshops, retreats, work-camps, and conferences in the areas of healing (self and planet), personal creativity, interpersonal communication, and Self-enquiry.
Our aim is to provide a temporary but authentic community environment for our guests and participants to practice living the values and insights gained through the holistic courses offered here.
The international community group that holds the Centre is inspired by the Findhorn ecovillage in northern Scotland, employing many of the processes developed there, including particularly attunement with nature, focalisation of work, and Way of Council. Our decisions are mostly made through consensus. We have a large organic vegetable garden that incorporates permaculture principles. We are located in the Pelion forest, a lush green ecosystem about seven kilometers from spectacular Aegean beaches.
We are always open to new temporary community members, who usually come to us first on a two-week trial basis during which we ask for a small financial contribution (currently $200).
During the winter months community members disperse, but many of them continue to work for the community doing fund raising, PR, web design, brochure layout, and other administrative jobs in preparation for the following summer in Greece.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2002
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.kalikalos.com
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.hollyfoundation.org
- Contact Name: Jock Millenson
- Phone: 845 228 8919
- Mailing Address:
Kalikalos Centre (use this address May – Oct)
Xenonas MartiouKissos (Tsangarada)
Pelion, Magnesia, 37012
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
A few decisions are made by a hierarchy. Most are made by sociocratic consent in circles.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
$200 for two week trial period
- Energy sources: Solar
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegetarian (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
There is a smokers area
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), www.pilioncentre.com, www.alexandros-kalikalos.com
Findhorn Foundation and Community