Kakwa Ecovillage Cooperative
- Last updated: December 24, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 6, 2004
Kakwa Ecovillage operates as an organic farm and is surrounded by limitless potential for ecotourism and agroforestry.
We are dedicated to building a sustainable culture with notable influences: GEN, Findhorn, Crystal Waters, and The Centre for Alternative Technology. Values honored include: consensus decision making, right livelihood, renewable energy, world music, sacred dance, a spiritual path, alternative medicine, and education.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2003
- Start Living Together: 2003
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.kakwaecovillage.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4836144390/
- Contact Name: Russ
- Community Address:
PO Box 640
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Hydro-Electric, Biomass, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Close to 100% is possible.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (includes “all religions”)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Illegal substances are banned. Smoking is prohibited due to no fire department coverage.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
Healthcare in Canada is provided by the government.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), Global Ecovillage Network – North America (GENNA), Ecovillage Network of Canada
Findhorn Foundation and Community,
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].