Jewel Creek Organic Farm & Ecovillage
- Last updated: March 29, 2015 (2 years ago)
- Listing created on: June 11, 2011
An Agriculturally based Ecovillage
We would like to invite like-minded people in our age group (20s-40s) to inquire, help out, learn and perhaps join and create a wonderful interdependent community with us.
THE PROPERTY: It’s located only minutes north of Greenwood and only an hour from Osoyoos, 142 acres with Jewel Creek running through it as well as at least one artisian spring. It has great sun exposure, good top soil and is big enough for several families to live on self sufficiently. It has crown land on 3 sides and trails all around. Less than 2 km to Jewel Lake.
We are planning to build a cluster of natural homes designed to minimize ecological disturbance and maximize use of the fertile, previously cleared areas for organic farming and gardening. We will use building material sourced from our land as much as possible.
We are already producing our own solar power and are going to set up hydro systems.
Grey water will be treated naturally and used for irrigation. Composting toilets will provide humanure for some gardens and plants.
We would like to host workshops, retreats, and small festivals related to sustainability, music and the arts, We hope that this will not only be fun and social but also bring the community some income for improvements, bills and further development.
We want to consume food that is produced locally, ideally on our own farm, but always sustainably. Our organic farm will supply residents and visitors with fresh, organic food; surplus can be sold on local farmer’s markets (twice a week in Grand Forks), through the food co-op, through CSAs and to restaurants in the area.
We would like to invite people to join who have some of the skills and experience in community living, natural building, establishing off-grid energy systems, permaculture, organic farming, educational programs and/or are simply and wonderfully handy, hardworking, hands-on folks.
If you are an Anti-vaxxer, believe that the government is poisoning us with Chemtrails, very religious, a conspiracy theorist, a “Freeman on the land”, anti-science, or the like… if this is you… you need not apply. This is a place for practical, hard working, rational, freethinkers who enjoy life, being active and healthy, believe in sustainability and that a green revolution is needed and feel it is better to be prepared for an uncertain future (as best as we can be) than to pretend like everything is ok and be totally unprepared.
Please check out our posting online for more info!
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2011
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.jewelcreek.ca
- Other social: http://www.youtube.com/
- Contact Name: Oliver
2680 Jewel Lake Rd.
Greenwood, V0H 1J0
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities.), Volunteer~ Internship~ Apprenticeship~ or WWOOF’ing, Ethical Business~ Investment Group~ or Alternative Currency
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, Apprenticeship~ or WWOOF’ing, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
overwhelming majority, Democratic decision making with a community council. To be discussed.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Members have completely independent finances
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Additional Comments:
We are not intending on having any debt including mortgages or other loans. The idea is to be self sufficient, off the grid (except telephone, internet) and in control of our own destiny (as much possible).
Small yearly maintenance fee to go into a community coffer and be used as needed.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All~ up to 90%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid, Solar, Hydro-Electric
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Between 25-50%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, up to 90%
- Food produced locally: Almost All~ up to 90%
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 100 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Not at all important – people may eat however they individually choose.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious Community, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, Jedi
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Up to each individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each individual
transition, peak oil, diversity, autonomous, self-governed, prepper, Green, natural building,