Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
- Last updated: April 12, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 13, 2014
Our vision is to form a community of neighbors interested in knowing each other on a deeper level than typical American neighborhoods. We value our privacy, but recognize that our western culture and lifestyle isolate us from each other and make it challenging to build meaningful long-term relationships with those around us. In building this neighborhood, we want to recapture aspects of a traditional village: knowing each other’s names, eating some meals together, sharing and celebrating life together with planned and spontaneous gatherings. In addition, our group strives to live more simply and more lightly on the earth.
Thanks for looking into Harrisonburg Cohousing! We just secured our site close to downtown Harrisonburg, and are excited to continue growing our membership and moving forward with the site process.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2013
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.harrisonburgcohousing.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HarrisonburgCohousing/
- Contact Name: Barbara Colson
- Phone: (540) 289-9381
- Community Address:
29 Shenandoah Ave
Harrisonburg, Virginia, 22802
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We strive to use hear all opinions and use a modified consensus model for making decisions.
- Join Fee: $150
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We make good food. Join us for one of our potlucks!
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Harrisonburg, Cohousing, Virginia, Sustainable, Neighborhood, Intentional.