Greater World Community
Taos, New Mexico, United States
- Last updated: November 28, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
to build and inhabit an Earthship
The Gravel Pit Reclamation Project (AKA Lemuria) in the Greater World Community is located in the northeastern portion of the subdivision. By combining the Earthship’s innovative water-catch-and-reuse systems with permaculture techniques to trap and direct surface-water runoff, the Gravel Pit Reclamation Project will demonstrate how to rejuvenate and reclaim a formerly worthless piece of discarded land.
Residents of the Greater World enjoy access to 347 acres of community land, open green space with hiking, biking, and parks. There will be a community center built on community land with sports facilities and playground. Greater World members also have access to backup water from the solar-powered community well.
The Earthship homes are the common element in the Greater World community. They continue to evolve each time one is built. No power, water, gas, or sewage lines enter or leave the property. Earthships produce their own power with photovoltaics and wind generators. They catch their own water, use it, and then treat and reuse it several times. The only outside utility most homes have is a propane tank (used primarily for cooking but also for heating water).
We think Earthships are the way of the future, a way to tread more lightly on the earth we share.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 1994
- Start Living Together: 1996
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.earthship.net/
- Contact Name: Michael Reynolds
- Phone: 575-751-0462
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 1041
Taos, New Mexico, 87571-1041
- Type(s): Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The initiator of the community, developer of the subdivision and creator of the Earthship is Michael Reynolds
a Board of Directors
The community votes on big issues. Day to day issues are handled by the Board of Directors.
- Join Fee: $50
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $12.50
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
If financing can be obtained to purchase a home, then they are welcome to buy in.
A membership fee is required.
There are annual dues. At this time they are $150/year/membership
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Greenhouse(s), Swingsets & play areas, Open space for hiking, etc.
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual