Wausaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Last updated: December 4, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 7, 2007
We are striving for a good, sustainable, healthy community.
We have 27 acres of rolling land near the Menominee River that we are currently developing into a small homestead. There is a fair amount of affordable land for sale in the area for anyone interested in forming a community with us but not in the sharing of property. As a matter of fact, there are 80 acres to the direct south of our land for sale – already developed a bit. We might even sell off some of our own acreage to the right people.
We believe in the importance of community and families. We would love to have other people to share this journey with. Not only would we enrich each other’s lives, but as the old saying goes: two hands are better than one. We are helpful to a fault and willing to learn just about anything we have to. If you are interested in joining us on this venture, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are going in this direction whether or not we can put together a group… we just think it would be a lot more fun and interesting to make this happen with a community.
Our goals with our land do not currently include selling off small parcels or incorporating. We have plans to build guest housing or small rentals on our land for those who are interested in the lifestyle and for one reason or another can’t afford to buy in the area. These will not be finished for a few years, however.
Please remember that this lifestyle is not something you can simply jump into on a whim. It’s a lot of hard work and the initial start up cost for land, housing, and equipment is fairly steep. I don’t mean to scare anyone away from this, because in my opinion it’s totally worth every penny and every drop of sweat. I’m merely implying that we are looking for serious, dedicated people who have thoroughly thought this lifestyle through. Is that you? Are you done dreaming and ready to get your hands dirty? If so, please contact us!
**House construction is complete! We are now living on our land. Look for exciting updates on my atheisthomesteader blog!**
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Individuals who own their own land and work together to achieve goals. Your land, your rules. We don’t over reach, but we are here to help if needed.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Your finances are none of our business. Everyone hits rough patches.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wood
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We love having dinner parties, bonfires, and family fun days. I love cooking and baking.
We don’t smoke, and would prefer to be surrounded by non-smokers. If you like what you see, maybe this would be a good time to kick the habit? Of course, this only applies to our personal property. On your own land, that’s your business.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
orchard, livestock, garden, permaculture, atheist, greenhouse, agnostic, homestead, organic