Foundational Living Colony of New Eden
DeWitt, Missouri, United States
- Last updated: May 1, 2017 (3 weeks ago)
- Listing created on: January 4, 2017
The Foundational Living Colony stands for the freedom of creativity, enjoyment, education, teaching, encouraging, entertainment, discipline, with all the ancient practical vocations in life that make it self-sufficient and self-generating for all involved, without needing to buy or sell anymore anything from the store. It is self generating and foundational from the ground up, and includes every establishment necessary for fullness of life, and the self-sustaining life for all of us in the pastoral environment.
The Foundational Living Colony stands for Creation, fullness of life, enjoying life to it’s fullest extend, the way it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Foundation stands for the foundational things that make life life, where we are “living” creatures, having many gifts, talents and abilities, working together as a “team” for the building of a habitation of Rest for all people, a self-sustaining, self-generating community, and “colony” is a gathering of people who are “pilgrims” on earth, and like an ant colony works together to build their ant hill, the Colony works together as a team, nobody greater or lesser than the other, but for the sake of equality we work, and are servants to each other. The greatest here will be the servant of all. Service and a life of service is what the Colony is all about.
The Living Colony is to have eleven establishments encompassing the full nature of life in enjoyment that will be built. It is a University Campus in form with educational opportunities for all, a classroom environment, with an hour each day set aside for each subject, music, gardening, livestock, carpentry, art, entertainment, physician healing arts, bird and fish environments, military training and discipline and teamwork practice,:
1. The Resting Deer Lodge- The Lodge is the central hub in the community, where all gather for rest, for a cup of tea, mate, or coffee, to relax and listen to calming music, where people can speak, read poetry, lecture, and be heard. It is a place of meditation, rest and healing for all.
2. The Morning Star Music Hall- The music hall is where all gather for hearing the choir, the musical instruments, and where all dance.
3. The Garden and Greenhouse- The Garden will consist of all 12 vegetable families, the Orchard with Apples and the Vineyard of Grapes; while the Greenhouse will grow the Meditteranean Trees like the Olive tree, Pomegranite, Date Palm, Coconut Palm, Fig tree and more; a medicinal garden of herbs also with Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Lavender, Valerian, and more
4. The Physician’s Healing Center and Apothecary- This center is to have access to all the trees, herbs, and medicines, Gemstones, with Frankinsence and Myrrh, to have all necessary medicines to heal all diseases, give massages, footbaths to release toxins, and more. Vegetarian nutrition is encouraged, the most universal health care for all people.
5. The Architectural Construction Center_ The Construction Center is to have the necessary saw-mills, tools, and instruments for the construction of the Livestock Stables, chicken coops, dog houses, posts, beams, rafters, chairs, furniture, and other items. Universal construction method is the Joint and Tennon method, the most secure and stable method.
6. The Military Training Facility- The Training Facility will train people for military discipline, respect, fitness, teamwork, and good morale among all. There will be excercises, salutes, marching, and battle strategy and battle re-enactments, team sports like basketball, capture-the-flag, and flag football.
7. The Astrological Space Center- The Space Center will teach people the stars, constellations, signs, seasons, calendars, and the beauty of the Heavens. The twelve constellations of the zodiac will be taught and studied, and the other 88 constellations of the universe.
8. Livestock area and sheepfold- The livestock area will include all necessary livestock: sheep, goats, cattle, and all pets, horse stable with horses. There will be no slaughter of animals, but only the milk, wool, and horse-power will be used. No death of animals will take place but they will be used for what they are.
9. Fish Marina and Bird Sanctuary- The fish will be stocked in a central pond and a swale or trough dug around the campus, where fish will be. There is to be a continual flow of water sourced by fountain pumps and water wheels to collect water. The central water source is to have a fountain and enclosed by the Resting Deer Lodge in the center. Birds shall have relative confinement but the freedom to fly as the please. Tame birds like parakeets and parrots are encouraged, yardbirds like cardinals and finches also encouraged and fed daily.
10. Entertainment, play and skit Amphitheater- The entertainment center will be for the entertainment of the people; where plays are enacted, skits, martial arts demonstrations, stories read and characters given lines and parts then enacted in plays. It will bring refreshment to all and lighten the mood for everyone involved.
11. Resurrection Burial Chambers- Preparation for our dead is necessary and vital. Proper care of any who die is a standard. We are to care for the body even after death. Burial Chambers are to be built similar to a root cellar, yet with more eloquence. Chambers can be built with concrete slab foundation, cinder block walls, cedar or pine or acacia wood for the roof, and six feet of earth piled on top by a buldozer or a team of shovelers. The Chambers are to have a double-door entrance where those who embalm the dead can go freely in and out at will. This is the standard for all who die and proper care of the body after death.
These are the eleven establishments for the Foundational Living Colony. All are welcome, young, middle aged, and elderly, all gifts, talents and abilities also encouraged. No one should be left out, but all welcome to engage in this great learning, building, and fellowship practice here. This is for the good of all people, all races, all ages, all men and women both; there is no partiality here. Come one and all and enjoy this process with me. Let us enjoy life again to it’s fullest extent and be not hindered by anything. You are free to serve, you are not slaves. Welcome, and come soon!
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2013
- Start Living Together: 2
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.foundationallivingcolony.com
- Contact Name: Adam Griffith
- Phone: 660-549-3369
- Community Address:
36145 Hwy 24
DeWitt, Missouri, 64639
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Any leader will be made known by the identification and nomination of a second or third party
A community should have a group of mature elders who have the responsibility of making the difficult desicions and judgments
Decision making may be done by any and all; but the final say in critical matters must be done by a group of mature elders according to the standard
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Income sharing is the goal and standard for the sake of the entire community. The whole point to community is sharing for the equality of everyone. Every dollar contributed goes to the good, the prosperity and benefit of the entire community, benefiting self and others.
This is to be a place of Rest, not a hard place with taskmasters, people work at their own pace and at their own ability level. Work is encouraged as a TEAM effort! Individual standout recognition is NOT encouraged. We work as a team and only as a team and colony.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Hydro-Electric, Biofuel
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Recreational vehicles, Waterfront access, Gym or sports area
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Eating meals together at the same table is necessary for a community to properly bond and grow as a unit
It is our ultimate goal to grow all of our food and medicine; but in the meantime, purchasing from the grocer is necessary regardless of any questionable handling practices
No foods with major toxins, body harming drugs, or impure water is used; water from the tap is boiled to prevent excessive mineral buildup
Diet is mostly herbal and vegetarian with fish and eggs used occasionally
Wine is used as a medicine
Tobacco may be used as a celebratory sedative or calming agent
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): The Way
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
The Colony practices nutritional nourishing healthcare, with herbal teas, supplements, and even some conventional medicines; whatever is necessary for the ailment or sickness we do what is necessary to nourish, sustain, and heal the body
- Additional Comments:
The standard of the community is an hourly schedule to get everyone on the same page. It is best for all to arise at 5 am, meditate at 6, have community gathering and meeting at 7, breakfast at 8, activities begin at 9, construction at 10, gardening and landscaping at 11, lunch and astrology at 12, birds and fish at 1, physician practices at 2, livestock and pets at 3, art and decorating at 4, music lessons at 5, meal preparation at 6, evening meal and meeting at 7, entertainment at 8, footwashing and retiring to bed at 9. This schedule is beneficial and encouraged to all and profitable for every person.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
self-sufficiency, creativity, community, life