Asheville, North Carolina, United States
- Last updated: December 18, 2016 (5 months ago)
- Listing created on: November 4, 2011
We’re currently cleaning up the properties, maintaining and planning gardens, and re-opening a multi-use commercial building with an education and information themed business model. We believe in open and honest dialogue and place a heavy emphasis on relationship building as a foundation to create a safe and inviting experience.
Please be aware we are currently restarting at the moment, seeking more core-committed or equity-invested members to proceed more effectively.
fortunity reflects an urban community lifestyle based on a complex combination of residential, commercial, and rural properties with interwoven related projects. Our passion above and beyond living and working together is communication — in many forms. Though we may tend towards lengthy and intensive planning discussions at times, the goal is to apply the results in productive fashion. Check out our website for more info, and to schedule a visit or tour if curious.
Please also note: we would best be defined as ‘spiritual not religious’, represent many different ideologies, dietary paths, and cultivate open minded but grounded and healthy lifestyle choices. Pets, addictions, and substance abuse are not welcome here, but responsible and conscious living definitely is.
- Status: Re-forming
- Started Planning: 1996
- Start Living Together: 1997
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.fortunity.org
- Contact Name: Jonah
- Phone: 828-301-0300
- Community Address:
727-729 Haywood Road
Asheville, North Carolina, 28806
This Community is Re-formingYear re-formed: 2016
Short version of a longer story: There is a larger infrastructure but there are not enough skilled, committed, or financially stable core members to more effectively proceed. We are currently maintaining short & mid-term / interim rental housing in most spaces, while also offering investment opportunities in selected properties.
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We are developing a creative hybrid of what works best here. Again, a core group is being sought to solidify governing principles. Though there is one founding owner-leader, input is always sought from whomever is affected by a decision.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
Perpetually open/moving towards more income sharing.
We are refining a hybrid work-trade model. Ask for details.
There is not formally, however, there will usually be an initial investment of time during a membership evaluation or training period.
Work, meetings, and other forms of contribution will be involved.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Biofuel, Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Decade long tradition of weekly potluck dinners. (On hold at the moment.)
Hoping to initiate garden projects this year, with 2+ acres waiting.
We try to eat healthy and local when possible.
We welcome all dietary habits.
Occasional social drinking allowed, but not to intoxication or inhibiting community functionality.
Outside smokers only, by exception, and definitely not preferred.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Agnostic
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
We lean towards holistic alternative self-care overall, but are not against conventional medical treatment when applicable.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
urban, rural, honesty, communication, sustainable, experimental, process, gardens, farm, education