Enchanted Garden Intentional Community
San Diego, California, United States
- Last updated: February 15, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 29, 2004
Seed Dreams Grow Here
Eight of us live together on a one-third-acre parcel surrounded by canyons within walking distance of the San Diego State College. The land exists to foster a healing relationship with nature, and help us each turn our beat around with nature through growing a bit of our own food, supporting local organic farmers, and living together. The land is an an oasis of green with many aromatic herbs and places to garden.The land calls for people who would like to live in an old home in the city and live as well in a natural environment suited to garden lovers. The garden is overgrown and needs a lot of helpers.
The library houses books and materials created by Leslie Goldman, founder, and works by his mentors, Bernard Jensen, natural healing arts elder, and Edmond Bordeaux Szekely, modern Essene renaissance pioneer.
The house is In private ownership, The house offers rental to those who would like to live as extended family and join in house meetings and shared house duties. Each person does 12 hours or more of work per month, or pays higher rent. Additional Every Day Upkeep is also asked.
Leslie writes daily on the Plant Your Dream Blog. For the latest information please google keywords: Enchanted Garden Intentional Community Plant Your Dream Blog. There is also basic information, some outdated on the link at lesliegoldman.com.
The Enchanted Garden is a name for the new Earth we can each grow one person at a time, one plant at a time, organically. Individuals who would like to live in this special environment while fulfilling their personal seed dreams and learning more about the Enchanted Garden are encouraged to be in touch.
Please be in touch if you want to volunteer help
or explore learning about the Enchanted Garden.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1980
- Start Living Together: 1989
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://plantyourdream.net/?cat=25
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EnchantedGardenIntentionalCommunity/
- Contact Name: Leslie Goldman
- Phone: 619-384-2631
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
yes, though residents live here as individual living independently, mainly renting rooms.
Decisions are influenced strongly by various members.
what works. People living here determine a lot of what gets done and how. We are adjusting to shared leadership.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Additional Comments:
rooms are rented. We have an available room, May 2014. Rent is $640.00 a month or $520.00 with
12 hours or more per month work or pay $120+ higher rent. Also do every day cleanup.
Each room is individually rented.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Additional Diet Comments:
Residents prepare individual meals. Frequent sharing of meals by some.
Some food grows here. Trees. Access to local grown organic food from Farmers’ Market.
Various healthy diets encouraged. Kitchen is maintained as Vegetarian. Not all residents are vegetarian. Whole, Pure, and Natural is preferred. Not all eat this way.
We have some vegetarians and some other healthy diets. Lots of food focus.
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
preference for whole, pure, natural foods.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)