Dos Tortugas Ecuador
El Matal, Canton Jama MANABI, Manabi, Ecuador
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: April 25, 2010
We are an established community, still pioneering — back to basics (not *roughing it*). Ours is an eco approach to intentional communal / family living eventually retiring as an active, valued elder. Stewards of the land, inviting like minded people who share a similar vision…
We bought the land and put in the infrastructure. Currently, four houses are finished; the primary one also has three rentals. (3rd one is Christina’s private home)
Over time, we have had various interested visitors come and go. The primary reason for the rentals is to accommodate potential, serious new members, so we can get to know each other; secondly, to create income.
Our project is not intended for profit nor investment. Instead, we are looking for pioneers who have the ability to lay the ground work for long-term living and retiring in this single-family and future co-housing community. As time went by, we’ve been making plans for a retirement community; site work and building plans are done. Bottom line is to care for each other and the ‘larger family’ without ending up in a strange retirement home. Our plan is to bring in assistance as needed.
The average temperature here 76 degrees, and we have two seasons: wet and dry. Everybody looks forward to rainy season to start new crops, also more water for our established plantings. We put in a thousand plants, including coconut palms(which line our entrance road), papayas, citrus, mangoes, bananas, plantains, yucca, hardwood trees, plus establishing gardens and field crops, semi-organic (still trying to co-exist w/ mother nature, see what she allows us to grow). Down here, permaculture is a whole new ballgame, esp. when met with hungry creatures ranging from leaf-cutter ants to 4 ft. long iguanas! That’s why we built a greenhouse. We can protect our vegetables with netting and not spray…
Regarding our website– we lost the old one, now working on the new one, more to come…
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2010
- Start Living Together: 2005
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://dostortugas.net
- Contact Name: peter czerwinski
- Phone: 4342821243
- Community Address:
Dos Tortugas Hill (arriba de hostel Mirimar)
El Matal, Canton Jama MANABI, Manabi,
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Unspecified, or Other
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used often.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Jactunyacu.org
Twin Oaks Community
intentional community, coastal Ecuador,co-housing,retirement community, single family,sustainable