Dallas, Texas, United States
- Last updated: February 14, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: August 16, 2010
To create a welcoming community based on cooperation and fun.
We’re growing a community of like-minded folks who’d like to live cooperatively in urban Dallas, close to DART rail.
Our goals: to be priced at market level or less, sustainable, and diverse.
Our models for living together include cohousing–homes for individual households, plenty of shared space & meals, decisions by consensus–and the ecovillage concepts of living in a socially, economically and ecologically sustainable manner.
We’re interested in possibly sharing:
• work space (for those of us working from home)
• a garden to grow some of our own food
• child care
• space for yoga, other kinds of movement
• home schooling
• a food buying club
• community-supported agriculture (CSA membership)
Our vision of retrofitting includes affordable energy efficiency and sustainability. E.g., solar-assisted hot water, rainwater reclamation, foam insulation under the roof.
- Status: Re-forming
- Started Planning: 2010
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://dallascohousing.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DallasCohousing/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dallascohousing
- Other social: http://www.meetup.com/Dallas-Cohousing/
- Contact Name: Angela Alston
- Phone: 972-669-8798
- Mailing Address:
P. O. Box 797503
Dallas, Texas, 75379
This Community is Re-formingYear re-formed: 2016-07-01
We came close to purchasing a property in 2012, but the group fell apart as our individual priorities became clear. We then began to re-form, energized by an article about Dallas Cohousing in the local paper.
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Join Fee: $500
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $10
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
2-8 hrs of outreach & planning per month
$500 for full membership: reserves your place in line to choose your unit
We’re asking $10/month for marketing purposes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Wind
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Gym or sports area, Internet, All these are hypothetical: we expect this to change, depending on who joins the community.
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
This is our goal. We’ll see what the community wants as the group grows.
Our goal is that any meat we eat will be humanely & sustainably raised
We envision wine & beer with dinner, for those who enjoy it.
We don’t smoke but would like there to be public space for smokers, if any join the group.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Buddhist, Jewish
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
Dallas, urban, cohousing, Texas, sustainable