Last updated: February 15, 2016 (5 months ago)
Listing created on: January 24, 2005
Crystal Waters Permaculture Village
(Conondale, Queensland, Australia)
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1985
- Start Living Together: 1988
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community.
- Website address: http://www.crystalwaters.org.au
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CrystalWatersEcoVillage/?fref=ts
- Other social: https://www.facebook.com/Crystal-Waters-Market-182393085108929/?fref=ts
- Phone: +61-(0)7-5494-4620
- Community Address:
1 Crystal Waters
65 Kilcoy Lane
Conondale, Queensland, 4552
Providing products, services, employment and facilities (buildings and land) for the social, educational and economic benefit of members and others is the primary activity of the cooperative.
The idea was that people should be able to operate from home, and many businesses operate from here, e.g., foresters, mail-order businesses (books, organic gardening supplies), carpenters, builders, permaculture course providers and consultants, nurseries, caterers, craftspeople, architects, entertainers, a bakery, Village camping area with cabin and bunkhouse accommodations, commercial kitchen, spindle maker, therapists, beekeeper, and ecovillage designer. Crystal Waters won an award in the 1996 World Habitat Awards and was a finalist in the 1998 Best Practices Awards. Many innovative ideas in building, wastewater, water, agriculture, and nature conservation are evident. The model has proved attractive to the relatively mainstream as well as an alternative market. About 250 live now in the village.