Antioch Village Pioneers
Yellow Springs, Ohio, United States
- Last updated: June 29, 2016 (10 months ago)
- Listing created on: February 26, 2016
Living in a community that nurtures the vitality of Antioch and supports caring for each other, the larger community, and the planet we all share, and that promotes harmony, diversity, compassion and honesty
We aim to be intergenerational, diverse, self-governing, a caring community, connected to Antioch College.
We plan to be environmentally sustainable – producing all the energy we use. We plan to have a very small footprint. Our housing will be as near passive as possible, and our energy will be produced by Solar panels to the grid and possibly some form of geo thermal. We have no garden but are connected to the college which as a small farm. We have ready and free access to nature through proximity to the 1300 acre Glen Helen Reserve and state and county parks. We hope to have a senior complex with full handicapped access. We hope to be governed by the principles of Dynamic Governance. At present we have 45 members and hope to expand to some 60 persons living in 24-34 units. We plan to be a sharing community that has a common space with kitchen, laundry, office, meeting room and outdoor area with play and picnic area, composting site, and floral gardens.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2015
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Patricia Brown, Jane Baker, Pat Stempfly
- Phone: 9374908155
- Mailing Address:
440 Stewart Dr
Yellow Springs, Ohio, 45387
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We are studying the decision-making process and are leaning toward sociocracy.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
As our buildings are not yet designed or constructed, we do not have fees. When we do, there will be monthly fees that will cover utilities, common space, debt repayment, hired help, etc.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Additional Diet Comments:
As we do not have any buildings yet we can only say that we aim to produce all the energy we use. We will not produce our own food, but individuals can access the college garden and farm. We aim to buy local as much as possible. We have access to the college wellness center – gym, exercise room, pool for a fee. Access to the college cafeteria for a fee. We hope to eat together at least twice a week. Dietary needs will be respected. Hope to have free wifi in the community great room. Pet-friendly.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Not sure – we have not discussed this yet
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Antioch College and Home Inc.
Environmentally sustainable, Diversity, Caring and sharing community