Alderleaf Wilderness College and Farm
Monroe, Washington, United States
- Last updated: December 30, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: June 3, 2008
Alderleaf Wilderness College’s mission is to inspire and empower people to be lifelong stewards on the natural world.
Alderleaf Wilderness College’s land is a developing permaculture farm nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. It is located above the Skykomish River valley near the town of Monroe, Washington, 30 miles northeast of Seattle. Our 15-acre property is an evolving model of environmental sustainability. Alderleaf Wilderness College has its office and classrooms on site and several staff, interns, and student live on site.
The large forested portion of the land contains giant mossy cedars, a cascading creek, a diversity of wildlife, and several wetlands. It is adjacent to thousands of acres of forest lands with many lakes, streams, and mountains.
The land is in the process of integrating a permaculture design plan. The farm includes cabins, houses, a large barn, beautiful pastures, garden space, and fruit trees.
A limited number of rooms for rent are available to staff, interns, and students in our Wilderness Certification Program and occasionally others interested in being involved with Alderleaf. Residents share a passion for nature, sustainability, and community, and often enjoy the opportunity to grow organic food and steward the land.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2007
- Start Living Together: 2008
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.wildernesscollege.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alderleafwildernesscollege
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alderleaf
- Other social: http://www.pinterest.com/alderleaf/
- Contact Name: Jason Knight
- Phone: 360-793-8709
- Community Address:
18715 299th Ave SE
Monroe, Washington, 98272
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: property is managed by Alderleaf Wilderness College
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
the property is managed by Alderleaf Wilderness College
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Additional Comments:
helping in the gardens and land is optional
rooms and cabins rent from $375 to $700 per month
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
nature, permaculture, sustainable living, wilderness survival, ethnobotany, outdoor education