Published by FIC
Showing all 40 results
Communities Magazine #171 (Summer 2016) – Ecovillages Around the World
- Ecovillages around the World, #171 Contents
- Publisher’s Note—Ecovillages and the FIC by Sky Blue
- Overcoming Apartheid—the Global Ecovillage Network by Kosha Anja Joubert
Communities worldwide are exploring how to heal our separation from each other and the natural world.
- Ecovillages Worldwide—Local Solutions for Global Problems by Leila Dregger
A wide array of ecovillages throughout the Global North and South address our shared challenges.
- Want an Ecovillage? Stay Put! by Abeja Hummel
How can we care for a place if we’re not there, day after day, year after year, paying attention?
- The Bridge to a Greener World by John Ahern
This Australian community’s bridge is a lot more than just a bridge.
- Creating Carbon-Negative Communities: Ecovillages and the UN’s New Sustainable Development Goals by Rob Wheeler
Diverse ecovillages are modeling how to create more just, equitable, and sustainable human societies.
- True Sustainability: Indigenous Pathways by Dan Schultz
At Maitreya Mountain Village, mainstream pragmatism meets radical idealism.
- Cloughjordan Ecovillage: Modeling the Transition to a Low-Carbon Society by Peadar Kirby
Irish ecovillagers achieve the smallest ecological footprints recorded in their country.
Communities Magazine #170 (Spring 2016) – Finding Or Starting A Community
- Finding or Starting a Community, #170 Contents
- Publisher’s Note—The New Communities Directory: A Star Chart for Seekers and Founders by Sky Blue
- Words of Experience: Starting a Community by Kim Scheidt
A founder shares a well-learned lesson: “It is a LOT of work to start an intentional community. A LOT.”
- Rediscovering Community: A family’s journey back to appreciating Home by Devon Bonady
An active search for a new community allows one family to explore core questions.
- Finding a Healthy, Happy Cohousing Community that Fits Your Values by Cynthia Dettman
A cohouser offers resources and tips on how to find your community.
- Off-Grid, and In Community: ’Tis Easier to Find than to Found by Dan Schultz
The co-director of Maitreya Mountain Village suggests others not follow his example.
- Common Fire’s Top Ten Hard-Earned Tips for Community Success by Jeff Golden
The sometimes triumphant, sometimes traumatic experiences of the three Common Fire communities yield wisdom relevant to anyone working to create a community.
- Leaps of Faith by Rebecca Reid
Two families leave a thriving cohousing community to follow their shared dreams as a tight-knit intergenerational group.
- Queer, Person of Color, or Low-Income; Is Cohousing Possible for Me? by Cynthia Dettman
Some creative solutions are starting to counteract cohousing’s demographic homogeneity, but significant obstacles remain.
Communities Magazine #169 (Winter 2015) – The Many Faces of Community
- The Many Faces of Community, #169 Contents
- Publisher’s Note—An Evolving Movement by Sky Blue
- Notes from the Editor—Many Faces by Chris Roth.
- Finding Community Outside of “Community” by Sam Makita
Myriad groups and connections on “the outside” don’t call themselves intentional— but sometimes are.
- Offerings to the Land by Mary Murphy
Befriend the land where you are, and you will never be lonely.
- Three Kinds of Community—Three Kinds of Experience and Learning by Belden Paulson
Whether with refugees, in the inner city, or in intentional groups, community holds life-long lessons.
- Getting to Community and Life after Community: Collectivism vs. Individuality by Lisa Paulson
Togetherness and solitude, action and reflection—our lives give us times for each.
- The Unexpected Journey by Elizabeth Matson
A three-month living/learning seminar in alternative communities still resonates three decades later.
- Intentional Communities: Something Old, Something New by Maureen Gallagher
Five key characteristics help both religious and nonreligious intentional communities to endure.
Communities Magazine #168 (Fall 2015) – Community and The Law
- Community and the Law, #168 Contents
- It’s the Law By Chris Roth
- My Intentional Community and the Law By Peter Moore
- It Takes All Kinds to Raise a Village By Melanie Rios
- My Struggle to Legalize Sustainable Living By Graham Ellis
- Zoning Nightmare: Hartford’s Scarborough Street House By Dave Rozza, Hannah Simms, Josh Blanchfield, Julia Rosenblatt, Kevin Lamkins, Laura Rozza, Maureen Welch, and Simon Raahauge DeSantis
- Land Use Regulations, Urban Planners, and Intentional Communities By Robert Boyer
- My Squat Law Journey By Steven DeCaprio
- Nobody Likes Bosses By Molly Shea
Communities Magazine #167 (Summer 2015) – Food and Community
- Food and Community, #167 Contents
- Why I’m a Locavore by Megan Kemple
- Cookin’ Dinner for the Revolution by Jesika Feather
- How the Kitchen Is the Heart of a Community by Devon Bonady
- Hot Topic, Raw Emotion, and the Spice of Life: Chewing over Food Choice in Community by Tracy Matfin
- We Got An Egg!: A Study in Scarcity by Heather M. Barnes
- The Community’s Garden Orchestra by Chris Roth
- The Balancing Act of Farming in Community by Coleen O’Connell
- Urban Flex Farms: Farming on a Bicycle by Sylvan Bonin
Communities Magazine #166 (Spring 2015) – Community For Baby Boomers
- Community for Baby Boomers, #166 Contents
- Notes from the Editor: The New Communities by Chris Roth
- Living Intergenerationally at Dancing Rabbit: “The Times They Are A-Changin’…” by Sharon Bagatell
- Every Eight Seconds by Aurora DeMarco
- The Intergenerational Challenge by Laird Schaub
- My Father the Toddler by Karbyn Eilde
- The Power of Community by Charles Durrett
- A Baby Boomer Rediscovers Community by Jeffrey Mabee
- Short-Term Vacation Cohousing: A Great Way to Learn by Deborah Carey with Ray Shockey
Complete Set of Back Issues of Communities Magazine
A Manual for Group Facilitators and Building United Judgment Combo
Best of Communities: VII. Relationships, Intimacy, Health, and Well-Being$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: XIV. Challenges and Lessons of Community
Best of Communities: XV. The Peripatetic Communitarian – The Best of Geoph Kozeny$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: XIII. Cooperative Economics and Creating Community Where You Are$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: XI. Green Building, Ecovillage Design, and Land Preservation$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: XII. Cohousing Compilation$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: X. Sustainable Food, Energy, and Transportation$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: IX. Community for Elders$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: VIII. Children in Community$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: VI. Agreements, Conflict, and Communication$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: V. Consensus$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: IV. Good Meetings$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: III. Leadership, Power, and Membership$10.00 Select options
Best of Communities: II. Seeking and Visiting Community$10.00 Select options
Communities Magazine Subscription
Adjust subscription options to see price:
Communities Magazine GIFT Subscription
Adjust subscription options to see price:
A New We – Ecological Communities in Europe
$25.00Add to cart
Communities Directory and Magazine Subscription Combo
$60.00Add to cart
Communities Directory and Finding Community Combo
$60.00Add to cart
Communities Directory and 2-DVD Visions of Utopia Combo
$85.00Add to cart
Communities Directory, Magazine Subscription, 2-DVD Visions of Utopia
Magazine Subscription and Two-DVD Visions of Utopia Combo
Visions of Utopia – Experiments in Sustainable Culture
Communities Directory – Previous Editions
Building United Judgment
A Manual for Group Facilitators